Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Farewell Sir Tel

So, Terry Wogan has finally announced that he is leaving Radio 2 at the end of the year.
He's been on for donkeys years - I used to listen to him when my children were tiny and they're in their 30s now! He was on early and then handed over to Jimmy Young. Ah. memories.

So - the end of an era I guess?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Re: Farewell Sir Tel

He's had a great career in the business and there will never be another like Sir Terry no matter how hard Chris Evans tries....

My children grew up with him too...
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
So, Terry Wogan has finally announced that he is leaving Radio 2 at the end of the year.
He's been on for donkeys years - I used to listen to him when my children were tiny and they're in their 30s now! He was on early and then handed over to Jimmy Young. Ah. memories.

So - the end of an era I guess?
Thanks for telling us that, I'll tell my husband as he listens to him driving to work in the mornings. He obviously doesn't know as I'm sure he would have mentioned it to me. I know he's always said it's the Terry Wogan show but Terry is not very often on as he is always on holiday.

I remember Jimmy Young as well, I had a Jimmy Young cookbook years ago.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 07:04 PM

I too remember the early days of Terry and 'the DG' on the roof of broadcasting house with the sheep .

I moved on to radio 4 and classic FM as 'a staple diet' of radio so haven't heard him for years .

I also loved Jimmy Young with his 'legal eagle' and Dr Hugh Jolly on child care great radio!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Won't be the same without Terry......he is a legend
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Oooh yes Meg - remember Raymondo who always asked Jimmy Young "What's the recipe today Jim?" and a very helpful vet who used to make regular appearances. Plus a weekly shopping/consumer piece with the editor of The Grocer? And some half-decent music. That was all before the airways became clogged with inane emails and phone-ins.
Oh fear - I'm turning into a GOW
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 11:58 AM

I had to suffer TW on the way to school in the car with my Dad every morning when I was young . . . I have to say that put me off him for life (TW not my Dad ). I know he's a very clever chap and a consumately professional broadcaster but he just doesn't do it for me.

Mind you he's getting on a bit now so I guess he just wants a leisurely retirement and to keep an eye on all his various business interests!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Who can forget his attempt at pop stardom....

I thought he was great fun and someone who didn't take life too seriously...
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Talking about Sir Terry, did anyone else buy his records? The Floral Dance and Me and the Elephant.
Maybe he should enter the Eurvision Contest now he's retired.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:05 PM

It said in the paper this morning that alot of people don't want Chris Evans taking his place. I suppose that show appeals to an older aged audience and maybe Chris Evan is a bit too wacky for that age range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top