Join for free
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Question on cameras.

Ok I will make it plain and simple.
I have a Sony Steady Shot which is doing a fine job although some of the buttons are small so a little tricky on cold mornings and especially when I have the shakes (because of my o2 levels not the drink.)
It is also a little on the small size.
So looking for a second camera thats a bit meaty so my fingers can use the buttons easily.
Any ideas out there and please don't propose I purchase a box one on a tripod with a black sheet.

Would use a local camera shop for guidance but the nearest is in Chelmsford, bit of a distance.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Re: Question on cameras.

A Lumix bridge camera is much more meaty to hold, and the Panasonic range covers how thin or fat your wallet is. Do a Google for fun or Amazon for a bit more fun!
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 06:31 PM

What's your budget longfellow? New or used?

What sort of stuff do you photograph?

Dobra's advice is good - Panasonic (Lumix) make good bridge cameras. I highly rate Fuji too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Try before you buy, hold it in your hand and see if you can easily use all the buttons, look online and type in the namer of the camera your thinking of buying and see what other folks are producing with it if you can.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Good advice from all above. Depends on your budget, but, where possible, try it, before you buy it.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys for the advice I don't really have a budget, if I like it I buy it. Just wanted to know what are the best names really.
The wife dugout an old Fuji earlier that I had not seen in 12yrs at least.
Has for what I will be taking pictures of well as long as it looks good I will be clicking on it. I do a fair bit of countryside walking these days the local parks are full of different water fowl.
At the end of the day it looks like I am gonna have to go to Chelmsford after all. I have been told that it is a good camera shop and they give good advice so I had better make the time.

So Lumix/Panasonic I heard Cannon earlier today from a friend. At least I will be able to ask to view these when I get to the shop.

It will have to be new Mister_Oy unless I get a decent guarantee with a used one.

Thanks again.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 09:05 PM

Hi Longfellow,
I don't know whether you've already bought a new camera but I just thought I'd post anyway. I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX 100v. I find it a great camera in the bridge camera range. I bought it because of it's ratings as a video camera. It makes great videos and for a camera it has good sound. It's got all the bells and whistles and more for taking photo's with a good auto option. It's an older model so I can't say what the new models are like but if they're as good then they're worth a look at.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 05:10 AM

I use a Canon Powershot G16 which is quite chunky and has decent sized controls. It takes fairly good photos too for a compact camera. It is the second one in this series that I have had; I had a G10 previously.

I don't know if it is a current model but the series has been pretty good so far. I have been very pleased with anyway.
longfellow
Chatterbox

05-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Hi Kev information much appreciated.
I have not got around to going out and looking yet but I now have a small list.
Was at footy on Saturday so that day was ruled out.
Yesterday I was grounded could not even make it to rehab so humid. Today had a fridge freezer delivered waited most of the day for that.Tomorrow o2 delivery.
So has you can see everything seems to be getting in the way at present hopefully by the end of the week I will get out there.

Bruce yes was looking at the Canon range the other day and they do seem easy to handle and can take a bit of tough handling.
Got my work cut on now looking at all the suggestions but I will get there.

Cheers guys.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top