Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 09:34 PM

God help Texas

Rather them than us...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-h...ry?id=49412285
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Re: God help Texas

Yup, just saw it on the news. Hope everyone stays safe throughout.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 10:41 PM

That must be so frightening, I hope everyone stays safe.

Thank goodness we don't have to face such storms in the UK.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 06:46 AM

I'm several hundred miles to the northeast where lines of surf from Harvey started building just before sunset. The only negative effect we are expecting this far away are gasoline price increases and shortages, so I went out and filled up the cars with gas. Everyone who surfs will be out tomorrow, as conditions are expected to be near perfect.

I lived in Corpus Christi, near the eye wall landing, for a year and know that they like all of us on the coast have a plan for preparation, evacuation, and coping after the storm passes. No one is really scared, just resolved to get to work and make the best of it. Friends who live near where the eye wall came ashore were texting that they still had power, although they were expecting to lose it soon. Extraordinary rainfall may be the biggest problem outside of random wind damage. Other friends, with kids and dogs, wisely evacuated.

I will say that the hysteria on the news outlets does a disservice to the 99% of people who are managing this storm calmly and rationally . Most accept that hurricanes are the price of coastal living.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Thank you, Surfermom, it is good to have a balanced view on the subject.

Not sure I could cope with it though!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Our friends live in Amarillo, hopefully we will hear from them at some point this weekend. The couple who have a little English Quick Save here though are in Houstan, visiting their daughter, so I hope they will be okay too. I know how quickly the ground floods in Houstan in a heavy rain downpour. I hope everyone in Texas stays safe.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I'm several hundred miles to the northeast where lines of surf from Harvey started building just before sunset. The only negative effect we are expecting this far away are gasoline price increases and shortages, so I went out and filled up the cars with gas. Everyone who surfs will be out tomorrow, as conditions are expected to be near perfect.

I lived in Corpus Christi, near the eye wall landing, for a year and know that they like all of us on the coast have a plan for preparation, evacuation, and coping after the storm passes. No one is really scared, just resolved to get to work and make the best of it. Friends who live near where the eye wall came ashore were texting that they still had power, although they were expecting to lose it soon. Extraordinary rainfall may be the biggest problem outside of random wind damage. Other friends, with kids and dogs, wisely evacuated.

I will say that the hysteria on the news outlets does a disservice to the 99% of people who are managing this storm calmly and rationally . Most accept that hurricanes are the price of coastal living.

Chris darlin' NEVER, NEVER, NEVER underestimate the power of the sea. Although the UK doesn't generally get hurricanes, I have experienced one (at sea). Not funny standing on the bridge of a 100,000 ton tanker and STILL looking up at the tops of the waves!!!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Trump should go to Texas at the height of the storm, stand at the water's edge and order the sea to retreat!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 01:01 AM

Wow, Joe! What were you doing at sea in a hurricane?

We have a saying in surfing to never turn your back on the sea.

Oh, here's a secret... it's Suzie...not Chris...though after this many decades of living...I answer to about anything .

Good wishes for your friends, clumsy!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 08:20 AM

Susie darlin' - you told us you lived in Texas and not too far away (100 miles) from Corpus Christi. Now that 'Harvey' has come ashore and caused lots of flooding devastation, am thinking of you. Come back and let us know you're safe and well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top