Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Celebration of Life question

My sister recently passed away (cancer) and her husband has organized a 'Celebration of Life' on her coming birthday. She also leaves behind 2 sons (mid 20's). Is there some way or something I could offer or share with her family while I'm there? I am planning over the next year to get family photo's together (involves traveling, digging up and copying) and put them together in a memory book for each of them, but for now.... any suggestions?
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 03:28 PM

Re: Celebration of Life question

Donation to cancer society in her name.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Claire, don't be put off by the number of views against replies, I looked earlier and couldn't think of anything, and still can't ('tho Dragons suggestion is good IMO)it's a terribly difficult thing to advise on as it has to be something that links with your dear sister and of course none of us knew her.

Couple of questions for you (a) how long have we got and (b) do you do any crafts yourself (not shop bought stuff)
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 05:20 PM

My son made a DVD of our life for our Golden Wedding, unlike album's it wont fall apart and can be passed on to family.

As Dragon says, a donation to Charity or do what a friend of ours did for his wife's passing, He donated a bench in a local beauty spot so that anyone reading the inscription meant that her life was remembered even if it was only for a brief moment..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Claire, please accept my condolences on the loss of your dear sister.

Maybe arrange to have a rose tree planted in her memory ...... in the family garden or a favourite spot of hers perhaps?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe arrange to have a rose tree planted in her memory ...... in the family garden or a favourite spot of hers perhaps?
An excellent suggestion Mags.

Claire, please accept my condolences also on the passing of your sister, siblings play such a big part in your life don`t they? I think the "Celebration of Life" is also a brilliant idea and I commend her husband for the idea.
Kind Regards, Barry
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 07:58 PM

The 'Celebration' is on Feb 5th (in BC) and one of our brothers & I are making a quick trip out for the weekend (stupid jobs get in the way eh?). Not crafty at all (have to learn how to scrap book to do the memory album for the boys that's why it will take at least the year!). Cancer is a mean. Period. I have great memories of times spent together as we have always been close (me, the baby sister she had to drag around) even though separated by the miles. I know she is gone, but in some ways, I don't know for sure I've accepted it really, so the weekend may be awfully hard emotionally. She always wanted to get a ladybug tattoo on her big toe, but I wouldn't do it, so she never did. My daughter did (on her back and its cute and about 'size as') and I might this summer, but not sure about the toe as won't that hurt??? That was my excuse a couple of years back too. I do know not to wear mascara though. OK, just rambling.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Ramble away, Claire, we are here to support and listen to you (((hugs)))
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ClaireMarie ->
The 'Celebration' is on Feb 5th (in BC) and one of our brothers & I are making a quick trip out for the weekend (stupid jobs get in the way eh?). Not crafty at all
OK thanks for that, Feb 5th. is not far away, I'll keep on thinking and try to suggest something, I was thinking about what you could make but that's most probably because that's what I would do. Being a thick skinned bloke I'm not very good at these things
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Hello Clairemarie, Very sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. What a lovely idea having a celebration of her life. May I suggest is it possible that you could contact a few of her friends, and ask if they would write a personal memory about her. This may be something the family would enjoy.

Alternatively, have you considered having a tree planted in her memory? Just in case, I checked and there is a Site in Canada called; MEMORY WOODS .com - that you may like to take a look.

Whatever, you decide it will obviously come from your heart and be more than appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Rainbow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top