Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Marriage/Divorce

Is getting a divorce to easy?

I can not understand why the divorce rate is so high.

Is it because people are not prepared to work at Marriage or is it because getting a divorce is simple and the easiest route to take?

What happened to 'Till death us do part '?
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Re: Marriage/Divorce

Many feel a piece of paper is just that-a piece of paper.
The least little thing & off to divorce court.
I feel that marriage should be limited to 10 yrs. & renewable if both folks want to stay together.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Divorce is on the increase over here too AB and it's not that long since it was banned here. We were both married at 19 and although we had our share of serious rows total separation was never considered, maybe we were just lucky, but I can understand the torment of two people who hate each other having to stay together for life, I certainly wouldn't do it. My heart bleeds for the children in divorce cases, they are the real victims.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 12:34 PM

It sadly sometimes seems like a throw away society! Easier, to get rid and move on to something new!!!

The cost of a Wedding Day can run into thousands of pounds. Are folk putting more emphasis on the popularity of the Wedding DAY, and being the centre of it, rather than planning and enjoying the journey ahead - walking hand in hand together, come what may.

People also move jobs more frequently than they used to!

I wonder if commitment and perseverence are lacking!

Rainbow
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 01:29 PM

I've had the pleasure of being married 3 times. My first wife, Korean, disappeared on the way to the airport to join me in the United States. We married while I was stationed in Korea. Nobody ever saw her again and I will go to my grave not knowing what happened. I had to wait 7 years before she was declared legally dead.

My second wife & I were married 9 years when she rolled over in bed one morning to tell me she was sleeping around with two other me & wanted to marry one of them. I granted her the divorce.

I owe my third wife a debt of gratitude because she taught me the difference between being alone and being lonely. She married me for what I could do for her & her 3 sons. She told me she never loved me but instead used me. Since our separation, ten years ago, I've never been lonely. We divorced this past October.

I'm a Christian and struggled many years in bad marriages because of the bible's teachings. I've never cheated or abused any of my wives.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I've had the pleasure of being married 3 times. My first wife, Korean, disappeared on the way to the airport to join me in the United States. We married while I was stationed in Korea. Nobody ever saw her again and I will go to my grave not knowing what happened. I had to wait 7 years before she was declared legally dead.

My second wife & I were married 9 years when she rolled over in bed one morning to tell me she was sleeping around with two other me & wanted to marry one of them. I granted her the divorce.

I owe my third wife a debt of gratitude because she taught me the difference between being alone and being lonely. She married me for what I could do for her & her 3 sons. She told me she never loved me but instead used me. Since our separation, ten years ago, I've never been lonely. We divorced this past October.

I'm a Christian and struggled many years in bad marriages because of the bible's teachings. I've never cheated or abused any of my wives.
Flippin heck Bob, that has really startled me, I don't know what to say to that, you've certainly been unlucky.

My wife and I argue every day, but never over the important things in life, our dogs, our money, our lifestyle, and we have only a handful of real life friends so don't disagree about them either (Most of the time)

Currently we are arguing over the correct way to cut the wood for our heating system, I want to use an axe (quicker) she wants to use a log splitter (safer) we usually agree in the end

But to answer the OP question, yes, I'm afraid that in some cases young people these days do get married and divorced far too easily, it's a throw away society, and worse it's an attitude of "I want what I want and if you don't want that too then stuff you I'm off"

As mentioned above once children are involved I think it should be very much more difficult to divorce. That's just my opinion based on having only been married once and not being lucky in the children stakes (Well twice actually to the same person with no divorce in between but that is another story)
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 02:12 PM

I've often thought I could produce a Soap Opera based solely on my real life. Then I realized nobody would believe it.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Bob, the worry and constant wondering what happened to your wife is awful.
Wife number two would not have got a divorce she would have been made to live in sin for the rest of her life.

Your luck seems to have changed in the last few years though.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh Bob you have been thru' the mill. It is good that you have come thru' it all and not to feel bitter about it. You have the right attitude.

I have a young friend who has been married twice, lived with 3 different men, and now contemplating setting up home with another. She is a wonderful young woman, has 3 children and has brought them up well.

I had an aunt who divorced her hubby - and that was back in the days when divorce was never thought of!! I was only a wee toty girl at the time!

Sometimes I think couples get on well when they live together but when they get married to each other, that's when the rot sets in! But that is only my opinion!

Good thread, AB.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2011, 11:31 AM

You could be right there Brandykins and I think marriage is hard work and sometimes can become intolerable if people don't "fight fair".
With regards to AB's query as to whether divorce is simple, I feel often it is getting married that is too easy and divorce harder and more complicated. The stigma of being divorced has gone, but there is nearly always damage with divorce and the people involved often carry their emotional baggage for a long time afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top