Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Remembering names

I've just had a complete conversation with a friend on the phone where neither of us referred to anyone by their own name but by their relationship to their dog, magpies mum, doggies dad etc.

I suddenly realised I don't know any of their real names just their dogs !

That can't be right
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Re: Remembering names

Ha ha ! I can remember having a full blown conversation with Ian Mckellen. I knew his face and just couldn't think of his name. The blank that sometimes envelopes us. In the end I said, "I know your face ". His reply was, "Oh ! I'm just an actor ".
Not much help really, nice guy though.
Never felt so embarrassed , when someone told me afterwards.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 12:07 PM

I'm so bad with names , I know faces , but names leave my brain , embarrassing if I know the person reasonably well . I wonder why it happens ,my memory is brilliant from 20 years ago but now it's really bad .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 12:11 PM

I think more people are like that than admit it Susan. I have seen some very young people struggle with names, so I don't think it's necessarily a worry. We all have to remember so much these days. Not that long ago you'd know your family and friends and work collegues these days you have hundreds of names and loads of numbers. No wonder we all get a bit muddled.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 12:58 PM

I got lazy because I worked in heavy industry and everybody had their name on their safety helmet.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

I sat in my library this morning, reading the local paper, when a woman said hello to me. I had to look at her face for a full minute, most probably, till I remembered her name! She is the person fronting the campaign against the library closure! Oooops.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 02:14 PM

I'm terrible with names and it's very embarrassing talking to someone whose name you have forgotten I don't like to say "sorry, I've forgotten your name" as it makes them feel uncomfortable...
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 03:36 PM

OH and I used to make up nicknames for people we saw around but didnt know. Even when we learned their names the nicknames stuck because they were far more suitable than the real names.eg Nigel Mansell for the old guy with the walker, happy for the woman who was always scowling, foghorn for the lady with the loud voice and Mutton (dressed as lamb) for the lady who always wore tennis skirts and ankle socks even in winter and even though our village had no tennis court!

Now days I know most of the dog names but none of the human ones..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:15 PM

People and things are either thingamebobs, dingus's or doings where I'm concerned lately, strangely my family know exactly who or what I mean!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm terrible with names and it's very embarrassing talking to someone whose name you have forgotten I don't like to say "sorry, I've forgotten your name" as it makes them feel uncomfortable...
I am exactly the same, I have always been very bad remembering names, and find myself so embarrassed at times, especially when greeted like an old friend. I then start by asking "how are the family, what are they doing now?". Desperately searching for clues as to who they might be.

Like Cass, I had nicknames for neighbours and other dog walkers, such as a short couple who were "the Hobbits", the fat man across the street was Buddha, and his wife, Mrs Buddha.
What their real names are, I dont know, despite knowing them for fifteen years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top