Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 10:55 PM

Fabric Conditioner

There was a time when Fabric Conditioner did not exist.

Now we are implored daily on TV to use heavily perfumed additive our laundry or we may have a bad odor about our clothes.
What man wants to smell like a Rose, or a Lilacs, or a perfumed flower garden, or even worse Musk, especially if wearing a Pink Shirt?
He will probably be stung by Bees thinking he was a flower!

A nice freshly showered odor is best or a clean linen smell or the odor of the sea.

In any case it is all extra expense to our laundry bill
I never use it and it clashes the the odor of favourite Perfume.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 11:01 PM

Re: Fabric Conditioner

Originally Posted by Azure ->
There was a time when Fabric Conditioner did not exist.

Not in my married lifetime! - In the 1960's Boots did one called 'Soft rinse'
Of course before then I wouldn't know about.

Anyway you can get un-perfumed ones!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Azure, l never use fabric conditioners either. I don't like the overpowering smell of them, plus they make me sneeze!
I don't like the smell of them on other people either. Sometimes someone passes you in the street and you can smell either the washing powder or conditioner they use as they pass you.
I think the perfume smell gets stronger as the person get hotter!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 06:35 AM

I only use a non purfumed one and only on some washes.
Towels, sheets etc never get softened, but it does make ironing slightly easier.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Azure, l never use fabric conditioners either. I don't like the overpowering smell of them, plus they make me sneeze!
I don't like the smell of them on other people either. Sometimes someone passes you in the street and you can smell either the washing powder or conditioner they use as they pass you.
I think the perfume smell gets stronger as the person get hotter!
Yes Artangel. It does cause allergic reactions as they all contain chemicals which cause skin irritants and can cause asthma as well, and is harmful to Aquatics when it goes down the drains Source 'Ecologist'
If you have surgery you are given instructions not to use any product containing perfume till the wound is repaired

Who wants tea towels to smell of perfume and in the wardrobe it permeates all your clothes as well.

You can find many recipes for natural fabric softener on line very easy to make yourself.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 08:44 AM

I use fabric conditioner because of static, I can't stand clothes clinging, modern materials do tend to do that.

I wouldn't use on cottons they don't attract static.

The smell dissipates quite quickly once the clothes dry, well it does with the one I use.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 09:48 AM

If you have hard water like us I think it's almost essential to use them, if I don't my cottons are like card board, denim can stand on its own and as summer says static is a problem in other fabrics.

I don't these days often wear perfume so some of the nicer scents are quite good. And I use a non perfumed one for the men.

Only things I never use it on is dog bedding and clothes because Elsie can be a bit itchy and I like to make her stuff as rinsed of product as possible.

The smells dissipate quite fast anyway, open a wardrobe a day later and it doesn't smell like summer breeze anymore.

Washing has got complicated these days by my machine they all line up biological pods for heavy soiling and work clothes, non biological for grace and the dogs, liquid soap for my lace and more delicate silks, non perfumed comfort for the men's clothes, perfumed for mine and a gentle conditioner for graces, then the different temperatures everything is washed at, almost need a science degree to work it all out.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Hi

Washing machines are a nightmare, far too many buttons and dials

I only use three, quickwash for normal, cotton and heavy soil.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 10:00 AM

I've got 15 programmes on mine I think I've only ever used 6 of them, plus the spin hold and best speed option.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:58 PM

I only use one prog on my washing machine. I do use a fabric conditioner though. Son has work tee shirts & whether it's the material or what I don't know, but they smell like cats pee, even after a wash, so we got this stuff you put in the machine with the clothing & now everything smells better, not just his tees.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top