Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Paying the workmen

We've got a builder coming next week to do some work on our property & I'm wondering how to pay him.

Do people still make out cheques? I know we've got a cheque book somewhere but not used it for years!

I don't expect the builder will take a card (or will he)

Maybe I should withdraw the money & pay him in cash.

The sum in question is £750. How would you pay him?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:50 PM

Re: Paying the workmen

Carol, was it you who had an unpaid bill a year or two back?? Your new thread had reminded me, wondered about an update.

I have a chequebook somewhere, but never use it. Maybe you could do a bank transfer to their account? Or withdraw the cash? Take Ade with you, maybe?

The builder himself is the best to ask. Just put it like 'what is your preferred method of payment?'
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:54 PM

No I don't recall anything about an unpaid bill Jazzi.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Oh. Somebody here had a builder that didn't get back to them. Or was it Julie? Think it was, now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:59 PM

For that amount Carol, I would wait for his invoice and pay him by cheque, so you have a record of what he did, when, and what he charged.

I had an electrician here a little while back, and he said he would send me the invoice. A week or so later it arrived, and I popped a cheque through his door.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Most of my invoices have been paid by bank transfer - I just give them my bank details. Failing that, a cheque or cash is okay.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:11 PM

carol

Up to £1000.00. I always ask 10% discount for cash on completion" and it is accepted 90% of the time.
More than £1,000.00 I pay by Cheque, but still ask for discount.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
We've got a builder coming next week to do some work on our property & I'm wondering how to pay him.

Do people still make out cheques? I know we've got a cheque book somewhere but not used it for years!

I don't expect the builder will take a card (or will he)

Maybe I should withdraw the money & pay him in cash.

The sum in question is £750. How would you pay him?
I've had a roofer & a P.C. man lately & I gave them cash as they said there would be no VAT then. Neither were that much though. Ask them how they want paying, is probably best.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

07-08-2017, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I gave them cash as they said there would be no VAT then.
They were fiddling the books then!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:32 PM

If it is someone I know and trust, I make a bank transfer as it is quick and simple (with telephone banking), and the recipient receives the money straight away.

If in any doubt, though, I'd pay by credit card.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top