Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Declining bird population.

There are many reasons for the decline of bird populations, change or reduction of habit for instance.

However this is one that really disgusting.

Cyprus, big numbers of dead birds although this time supported by the law, sadly. Just 3 hunters managed to kill 600+ Song Thrush in a day

Places like Malta continue this barbaric practice under the guise of sport, i know folks that go out and confront these animals who blast anything that flies out of the sky.

Its contributing to the loss of birds like Nightingales and Turtle doves in the UK.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Re: Declining bird population.

That's terrible. We've been amazed how many we see in Sussex each weekend, hardly see any diversity here in Surrey, but we are seeing birds we've never seen in years here.

So sad how we humans treat animals it's making me think we don't deserve to live here note earth we are so destructive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 10:44 AM

It's probably not helped by people like OGF letting their cats out at night to slaughter the local wildlife.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Cats are a problem but most are so well fed and fat they can't catch anything these days IMO. Used to be normal to see my neighbours cats heading home with their kill but last few years they've struggled to catch a cold they are so well fed. I see that around here a lot.

Then weekends at the caravan I see a couple of ferals that seem to live on rabbits and mice and the odd bird. I can't be angry at gem they are just trying to live in this mad world. People who abandoned them I do think are at fault. But without them we'd be up to our necks in bunnies, as much as I love them they are well out of control in the area.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 10:53 AM

The beautiful song thrush ! Oh ! to hear another one day. We don't seem to have any around here anymore, the swallows that were plentiful 15 yrs ago, have all but gone. Just two seem to be clinging on for the last few years.

Cruelty to our wildlife is beyond reproach, it has always gone on but that was in the days of need. We don't need to take these acts against our wildlife any longer. Such delicate little creatures, it makes ones heart bleed.

There was a series of programmes on BBC about bird migration, they have been repeated . They were wonderful programmes and the strength and natural instincts of the birds against all the hazards are amazing. We (humans) are the worst of species.

Earthflight. Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSkitrLE34

Not on any longer but if they repeat again. well worth watching.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
There are many reasons for the decline of bird populations, change or reduction of habit for instance.

However this is one that really disgusting.

Cyprus, big numbers of dead birds although this time supported by the law, sadly. Just 3 hunters managed to kill 600+ Song Thrush in a day

Places like Malta continue this barbaric practice under the guise of sport, i know folks that go out and confront these animals who blast anything that flies out of the sky.

Its contributing to the loss of birds like Nightingales and Turtle doves in the UK.
That's shocking Nom, I didn't realise that happened in other countries
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 06:44 AM

I haven't seen a thrush at all since I have lived in the uk.
I remember as a child they were common in my mothers garden .
People do shoot and trap birds all over the world
I.e. In the holiday island of Barbados shooting migratory birds happens every year .
This is not for food but for sport by the weathly .
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...-Barbados.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 08:52 AM

A shocking read Muddy, i was not aware of this in Barbados. It is just stupidity to slaughter in the name if sport.]

One of the cruel methods employed are glue traps which kill slowly.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Malta will never get another visit from me, I heard about them not liking birds when I was there, apparrently in the Middle Ages they allowed ships to dock there in return for loads of soil, they had very little and the birds would eat the crops they tried to grow so they hated them. I' m not sure if that's a myth or not.
Lots of song birds seemed to be kept in tiny cages, which upset me and when we visited an old army hospital site there were men stoning a dead seagull attatched to a pole. Horrific!
I believe Chris Packham is doing his best to stop people killing the migrating birds.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 04:13 PM

There use to be Telephone Lines outside my bedroom window
and every morning I could hear the 'Dawn Chorus' from lots of birds perched on the lines. The lines have now gone,..and so have all the birds as well. That's progress!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top