Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 03:42 PM

stills or video ? which is more challenging

Don't get me wrong I love taking still photos mainly wildlife but I have to confess I find video harder and more rewarding.

With stills we all know the problems to overcome so no need to mention them but with video there is so much more to deal with.

To start with sound and eliminating wind noise- panning without jerking- even down to avoid people walking in front of you while filming- people talking next to you are just a few of the extra problems to deal with let alone keeping subjet matter in frame.

I would love to see others efforts with video and read about what they had to overcome

Ants I filmed while in Brazil, taken in the grounds of the bungalow we stayed at

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Re: stills or video ? which is more challenging

Were they taken on your D800 or video camera? I love the second one, it looks like the ant is either dancing with the object or wrestling it
I must admit, I have never tried using my video on the D800 and can understand about the difficulties that you mentioned in your post. Both still and videos are an art form and naturally, both can be quite challenging at times, especially, annoying people that walk in front of the lens as you are about to click
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:07 PM

I shoot quite a lot of video professionally - and one of the first things I learned when I did my Adobe Certified Associate qualification is that yes, the same rules of lighting and composition apply, and the same theories of exposure, aperture, shutter speed (not the same as frame rate), white balance and ISO also apply.

The main difference for me is audio. Sound is more important than image in film making especially once you progress beyond just slapping some generic background music over a few video clips. If your exposure, image quality etc is a but ropey, people will often forgive you. If your sound is rubbish - your video is rubbish.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:49 PM

I am really only starting out in video work in reality and a load to learn.
Ok only have a Panasonic HC-x900m camcorder which is near top of the range ( £850) when purchased. I have to say I find the picture quality is very good even in awkward lighting situations

I find what is interesting albeit with only Adobe Premier elements to do the editing as well.

The ants videos were done on the Panasonic HC -x600 version if my memory is correct

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top