Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Meals on Wheels

Whatever happened to them?
Has anyone tried those ones on the telly?
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Re: Meals on Wheels

The first two or three years after I retired I used to deliver Kosher Meals on Wheels. They always appeared to be well cooked and extremely nourishing meals (3 courses). Would find that many of those receiving them really wanted the deliverer to stay and have a chat.
I think one of the posters here has used WFF meals.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 03:11 PM

When I was first married I delivered them, was a lovely job seeing all the oldies around the area, two courses but a choice of starter and main or main and pudding, or for small appetites starter and pudding. There were seven of us at our depot, all went out in our own cars, I'd have 6 meals on the back seat and three dogs in the boot and a microwave on the front seat to reheat the meals if the recipient hadn't got food heating equipment.

The dogs would break the ice with many as they had to give up their pets as they'd become less able.

You wouldn't be allowed to do that these days dogs and food in the same vehicle. But I don't think I lost any customers to illness from the dogs.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 05:38 PM

If you are unable to get your own meals , in this area,Social Services deliver them, but they are done in block delivery,[ not sure how many at a time],they are Frozen ready meals to heat in a microwave,If you dont have a freezer and /or Miicrowave they will loan you a small one.I dont know how nice they are or if you can choose what you get [ apart from Kosher//Halal that is
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 07:02 AM

I think Wiltshire Farm Foods are much better as long as you have a freezer and microwave and can use them.

(1) you can choose from a wider variety of meals (though I don't know if they have Kosher/Halal
(2) you can choose which day they are delivered (weekly, fortnightly etc.)
(3) you don't have to have one every day, you can have something else or go out for a meal without having to tell anyone beforehand
(4) you can decide what time to have your meal
(5) you don't have to stay at home at set times ready to receive them

https://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/ Click on Select a Meal to see the range available

However for people who are really housebound and can't use a microwave, meals on wheels would make a great difference.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 09:55 AM

What do they taste like? I think I'd rather eat roadkill.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 09:57 AM

reminds me of the story of the mouse on rollerskates. A cat sees this and thinks "meals on wheels"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Whatever happened to them?
Has anyone tried those ones on the telly?

Meals on wheels seem to have been replaced (at least in this area) with take-away restaurants. Only this morning on our local news it was announced that Brighton has more than 400 take-away restaurants.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
If you are unable to get your own meals , in this area,Social Services deliver them, but they are done in block delivery,[ not sure how many at a time],they are Frozen ready meals to heat in a microwave,If you dont have a freezer and /or Miicrowave they will loan you a small one.I dont know how nice they are or if you can choose what you get [ apart from Kosher//Halal that is

deylon, I once heard of a woman who saved some of her meals delivered by social services and had a dinner party for her friends!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top