Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 09:33 AM

Children and iPads

I have just had my grandchildren for four days they are totally addicted to their iPads .
I think this is not good for them
So did the late Steve Jobs
His children didn't have iPads !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ew-danger.html
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Re: Children and iPads

TBH, I think that particular genie is well out of the bottle and there is no turning back. Yes, the younger generation do seem to be permanently attached to their technology. However, is that any worse than it was 'back in the day', when some children would have their noses glued to a book?
Everything is carried out via phones/tablets these days. Even homework is set and marked that way. So, they do have to very proficient in usage. I do think they should be banned at mealtimes (as books were often banned for the same reason), so that normal conversations can be carried out whilst eating. Equally, on any social occasion all people present (adults also), should not be continuously peeping at their 'phones.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Grace has a tablet not an iPad and on that she has a limited number of apps, one she most uses is her kindle. I'm not sure I'd want to limit her reading a book so I don't really limit her reading on her tablet.

Games are age appropriate, and her internet access is limited.

I'm quite proud that if she visits her grand parents she puts it down and interacts with them. It's quite rude not to IMO

It's not much different to kids a few years ago being addicted to tv. If we use these things as babysitters they will get addicted.

I'm not ashamed to say I've done that at times, kids, working, trying to run a home and look after parents etc it's been a godsend to sit them down in front of something safe and entertaining for an hour or two.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 11:00 AM

I am a wicked granny. When I looked after my grandchildren for three weeks it was my rules.. That included no computer at mealtimes , you sit at the table and eat ..My granddaughter learned the hard way , she was playing with her tablet/ipad whatever and wouldn't come to the table , she wanted to eat on the sofa with ipad thing in hand ...I said no , so her brother and I ate our lunch she was called once more and ignored me and her lunch went into the dogs bowl.
She screamed and yelled she even blamed the dog but she got nothing to eat until dinner time..
After that when I said meal time she came and she sat..
Short sharp effective.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 11:07 AM

It worries me when I see kids holding ipads when out and about. Supposing they dropped it? It's not a cheap item to buy or replace. Or did Mummy or Daddy get a new one, and handed over the one not needed anymore to their child? And children holding their parent's mobile phone! Arghhh...don't drop that, either!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Hi

I don't have too much of an issue with it as the pretendies parents have laid down strict rules.

No tablets at the table, they have to stop and come and say hello when a guest comes into the house.

They do not eat rubbish, Mum cooks from fresh everyday, loads of vegetables and salads.

They have unlimited fruit to nibble throughout the day and both gets lots of exercise.

Having said that, they get spoiled rotten when they are here, coke, crisps, biscuits, ice cream,
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 04:40 PM

Try having a decent conversation with a kid on an iPad or tablet! It's a waste of time as they are totally transfixed!!
They might grunt....whoops, l mean answer but their eyes never leave the screen!
I do worry about their posture with their heads continually bent over looking at the screen!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I don't have too much of an issue with it as the pretendies parents have laid down strict rules.

No tablets at the table, they have to stop and come and say hello when a guest comes into the house.

They do not eat rubbish, Mum cooks from fresh everyday, loads of vegetables and salads.

They have unlimited fruit to nibble throughout the day and both gets lots of exercise.

Having said that, they get spoiled rotten when they are here, coke, crisps, biscuits, ice cream,
Sugar overload !!!!!
Not good for children or anyone come to that .
Think of their teeth .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I am a wicked granny. When I looked after my grandchildren for three weeks it was my rules.. That included no computer at mealtimes , you sit at the table and eat ..My granddaughter learned the hard way , she was playing with her tablet/ipad whatever and wouldn't come to the table , she wanted to eat on the sofa with ipad thing in hand ...I said no , so her brother and I ate our lunch she was called once more and ignored me and her lunch went into the dogs bowl.
She screamed and yelled she even blamed the dog but she got nothing to eat until dinner time..
After that when I said meal time she came and she sat..
Short sharp effective.
Well done you !

About 5 or 6 years ago I had to look after a friend's three young boys - ages 6 to 10 - for the day while their parents sorted out their flood damaged home. I was appalled when all they wanted to do was watch TV and/or play on their Ipads. They were equally appalled when I told them to put their coats on and come out for a walk!

I gave them each a small notebook and pencil, and set them the task of finding and drawing or describing 6 x different leaves, insects, grasses as we walked through a little woodland. When we came back I sat them down with a pile of 'Nature' books so they could identify what they had seen and write about it while I prepared dinner.

Had a phone call from friend to say they were unable to collect them and could I keep them overnight! Totally unprepared - not to mention out of practice - I rounded up every cushion, pillow, quilt and blanket in the place - made a camp in the middle of the sitting room floor. Added a few snacks and bottles of fruit juice/water. We sat about playing word games and telling ghost/adventure stories until we eventually all fell asleep.

Parents collected them next day - and said they were talking about it for weeks afterward and kept asking to come again !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 09:03 AM

That's lovely and nothing says kids can't do all that too, grace is into bird watching, when she gets back the tablet comes out and she looks them all up, writes about them and stores her pictures to the cloud.

The key is use the technology wisely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top