Join for free
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:31 PM

Lancaster Bomber to be recovered

At the nature reserve we sometimes walk in the wreck of a Lancaster bomber has been found buried deep in the marsh.

Plans are now turning to action and the wreck is to be recovered, a dam wall is being built and then the water will be pumped out so that the wreck can be lifted from the marshy bed it lies on.
Plans are to lift it on 4 September 75 years after it was shot down on the night of Sept 4th/5th 1942
On Tue 3 Oct a flypast including the Lancaster Bomber from the Royal airforce has been arranged in memory of those who losts their lives aboard the plane.

What will happen to it after its recovered is not yet known and to be honest Im not even sure it should be recovered, maybe marking the spot in some other way would be more appropriate?

https://www.rd.nl/vandaag/binnenland...rgen-1.1419240
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Re: Lancaster Bomber to be recovered

How interesting and going by previous finds in bogs, it might be well preserved. Those Lancs sure were impressive aircraft. Please keep us updated with any progress Cass.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:34 AM

I've got the flypast date marked on the calendar. Should be able to see it from my house we are right between the airbase and the crash site..
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Personally I think it should be treated as a war grave rather than just an historic relic..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Personally I think it should be treated as a war grave rather than just an historic relic..
Just depends Barry if the crew baled out , I suppose if there are remains they should be left,
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Would be good to restore the aircraft if possible. They are amazing machines.

There is a fully restored one in Lincolnshire at the Aviation Heritage Centre.

They routinely take it out of the hangar, fire up the engines and give people taxi rides down the runway.

The sound of the engines is something to behold.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:01 PM

I think before it is disturbed too much they must try to establish what happened to the flight crew. If they were able to escape the crash by all means dig it up to restore or whatever. If they didn't escape then it should be left and marked as a war grave provided the site is suitable for such a place.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:52 PM

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war...therlands.html

On 5th september 1942 Lancaster R5682 of No. 61 Squadron failed to return from a mission to Bremen. The bomber had been hit by flak over the Dutch coast and crashed at 02.51 hours near the village of Wartena / The Netherlands. Three crew members were killed and four succeeded in bailing out. They were taken prisoner by the Germans.

The crew were:

Pilot P/O. P.C.V. Joslin 131479 RAF Died
Flight Engineer Sgt. E.V. Booth 631551 RAF Survived POW
Navigator Sgt. P.J. Bridgeman R/92999 RCAF Survived POW
Wireless Op F/Sgt. B.A. Farmer 901579 RAF Survived POW
Wo Ba F/Sgt. E.J. May 755631 RAF Died
Air Gunner F/O. N.D. Mullins R/77351 RCAF Survived POW
Air Gunner W/O II. J.F. Cooper R/55387 RCAF Missing

The actual recovery will start on September 11th and will be carried out by the Dutch Royal Air Force, Explosives Clearing Service Defense (EODD), Identification Service Royal Army (BIDKL) and the Aircraft Recovery Team of Leemans Special Works.

Everything is being done to find the missing Canadian tailgunner, J.F. Cooper.
Cass
NL

31-07-2017, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the link Omah, I couldnt find anything in English when I looked...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top