Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Measuring Curtains

Advice please . What is the best way to measure for net curtains ?I want some new net curtains but cant get up to measure them. I asked my son to do it he said 59/60 long ,but Im sure I got 62 last time, but they dont look like theyve shrunk.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Re: Measuring Curtains

why not just take them down ? measure on the floor if need be.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Why not measure the window frame instead of the curtain, that is not going to change size.

Usually nets are double. e.g. if you measure 60" wide window, aim to get 120" wide net, so there is plenty of fullness.
Then just get the depth you need.

Something else occured to me deylon, if you can't get up there to measure, how are you going to get up there to take the old ones down and put the new ones up?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Advice please . What is the best way to measure for net curtains ?I want some new net curtains but cant get up to measure them. I asked my son to do it he said 59/60 long ,but Im sure I got 62 last time, but they dont look like theyve shrunk.
Have a look on the Inter-Net.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
NA that even got more holes in it
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 12:02 AM

Use a broom handle - put the end of the handle level with where the curtains will be hanging from and use a pencil to mark where you would like the drop to finish. Measure the broom handle between its end and the marker point to get the length of curtain.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Use a broom handle - put the end of the handle level with where the curtains will be hanging from and use a pencil to mark where you would like the drop to finish. Measure the broom handle between its end and the marker point to get the length of curtain.

That is a good idea to get the size Judsy, but won't be a lot of help to reach the old ones down and put the new ones up though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is a good idea to get the size Judsy, but won't be a lot of help to reach the old ones down and put the new ones up though.

That's where Deylon's son comes in
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Net curtains are sold in set lengths. Get your son to re-measure the length (depth) from top of old curtains to the window cill. Then when you purchase the curtains you will need to see the nearest suitable measurement. For the width, as you have been told always allow at least double to ensure that they are hanging nice and full. That measurement does not need to be so exact as it really does not matter if it is little more than double.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top