Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 05:10 AM

Food Prices

Hi

Any of you noticing the increasing cost of food?

I certainly am.

The fall in the value of the £ is having an effect, we import so much and much of what we import cannot be produced as cheaply, if at all, here in the UK.

Pork and beef is at an all time high and cheese and some vegetables are also going up.

There is a knock on effect, which is inflation, so State Pensions will rise, which will knock another hole in the Government finances.

Interesting times.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:09 AM

Re: Food Prices

Well we can't have it all ways! We were aware that a fall in £ would occur if we left the EU, and there are so many people living here it is unlikely we would be able to create enough food, to feed them, in Britain.

Look on the bright side, if people can't afford to buy so much food, perhaps the obesity in this country will reduce!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:17 AM

In the meantime, if people can't afford food, those skinny, poor people will starve.
But then that won't affect some will it?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:23 AM

I can't see many people in Britain dying of starvation, but we may need to adjust our eating habits and cooking abilities to learn how to prepare cheap foods. We managed it after the war.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:45 AM

I expect most who are struggling already know how to source and prepare cheap food.
We're not fighting a war, this is a problem of our own making. When I say "our" I mean those who didn't have any plan or thought for the consequences.
The wealthy, as in wartime, will not be affected as much as the rest of us.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Hi

Now is the time of year I normally stock my freezer with the cheaper cuts of beef, simply because they are normally much cheaper in summer, not the time of years for stews.

I pay wholesale prices, not retail and it is much more expensive this year.

I grow my own salad stuff, so ok at the moment, but in winter I can't so I will notice it.

It is things like peppers which have shot up, stuff which we import.

As Twinks says, we cannot have it all ways, but it is affecting those who are just on basic state pension.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

25-07-2017, 07:07 AM

...and those with children and disabled and unemployed through no fault of their own.
That's alright, as long as the rest are ok.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:33 AM

A local small town to here (3100 residencies) has 5 Indian Takeaways on it's High Street, they all have not increased prices in the last couple of years, for fear of losing custom. I keep an eye on the status quo, but fear it is only a matter of time, before allegiances are made, and a "Curry Cartel" is formed
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

25-07-2017, 07:34 AM

I doubt any forum members are particularly wealthy, or they would all be out enjoying their money with their wealthy friends.
The real problem is, although we consider all people should be equal, that doesn't mean on a financial basis. Our financial situation is down to the circumstances in our lives. We all made choices and some were good, yet some were bad, but we all have to live with the consequences of those choices.
We can't blame those, who did well in life, for the fact that others have a harder life, but we do need to remember that all those who pay tax and NI are the ones who are providing benefits for those in poorer conditions..... and their cost of living increases along with those of everyone else!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

25-07-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
...and those with children and disabled and unemployed through no fault of their own.
That's alright, as long as the rest are ok.
Hi

I do not mind paying more tax for those genuinely in need, as I have frequently said before.

I was on Disability Benefits myself from 1991 to 1993, albeit with an Injury Pension as well.

I went back to work, others at that time, are still on Benefits, allegedly unfit for work, but they can still get about better than I can and this is what intensely annoys me.

We have not got the hang of a simple fact of life, if you can work, you should.

Nobody owes you a living.

The usual bunch where at the PO yesterday, smoking, drinking, on the mobiles, swearing.

Loads of jobs around, they may not like the sort of jobs, but that is absolutely no excuse for not getting one.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top