Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Sight & Sound

Isn't it strange how people are quite accepting of problems with eyesight, and the need for spectacles. But problems with hearing seem to be a different matter altogether!

Some folk with hearing difficulties seem less inclined to seek the help of a hearing aid, in the same way that they would willingly visit an Optician and purchase spectacles.

I wonder why we are more neglectful or even embarrassed by our hearing?

Rainbow

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Re: Sight & Sound

You are definitely right, Rainbow ..... I find myself saying "Pardon?" to my husband far too often these days!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Pardon,,,,,
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Mags and Antibrown ... LOL

Rather than repeat a question to my hubby, I sometimes light-heartedly say; "Ding Dong". He always hears that, and asks; "What" rather than "Pardon"!!!

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 09:06 PM

I suspect I may have had a problem for a while now - but I prefer to say I have selective hearing.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2011, 01:52 AM

Mines dreadful and if theres background noise I really struggle. I have the tv too loud and the van stereo blaring but to me they're just about right!! I critisise my other half for muttering,people who start talking to me then turn away leave me wondering what the rest of the conversation was lol and I hear words that simply weren't said!
Yup my hearings bad but im not bothered at the minute but it drives people mad. However I never drive or watch tv or use the pc without my glasses on so yes I put more importance on sight.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

10-01-2011, 01:39 PM

I gave in about 6 months ago and finally got a hearing aid. Its definitely a vanity thing as I've worn glasses for most of my adult life but for some reason wouldn't deal with the hearing problem. Its the best thing I ever did, especially for my family. I continuously criticised my poor long suffering husband for muttering when he most likely wasn't.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

13-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Mazzie, it is odd how we regard hearing compared to sight.

I think I will plump for those very old-fashioned type trumpets, that folk held to their ears.
It would compliment my eccentricity.

Reminding me of that well known Poem .....

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Regards,
Rainbow
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 08:19 AM

I have been about 90 % deaf for over 35 years. I get by reading lips, though I have been accused of not paying attention because I don't look people in the eyes a lot. My youngest daughter was the first to pick up on it. None of my other children ever noticed and only found out about 12 months age when I told my mil. The reason I mentioned it to her was because my rotten sister in law would talk about us under her breath thinking no one could hear! Hmmm! Now my mil have a laugh at sil expense. The way I see it is...I have 5 kids and have been married so long , I've heared it all....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2011, 11:54 AM

I think it's because deafness is not as visible as bad eyesight and we think people are speaking in a lower tone when our hearing starts to go. People make eye contact when they meet not ear contact. I often say to the wife when watching TV, 'Why can't these young actors learn to speak up? they would never make it in the theatre'. I forget it's just me going deaf.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top