Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Wasting Food

In Sainsburys there were several notices about not wasting food ,dont buy more than you need ,I thought that was rich coming from them as its impossible to buy small,i.e little gem lettuce 2 in a pack,cooked ham sliced packs of 5, pack of digestive biscuits 2 x150 grams,many offers buy 2 get 1 free, these may be good offers but if you live alone these are often too much
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:29 PM

Re: Wasting Food

I know just what you mean deylon.
I often only want small amounts for myself too, but sometimes they only have pre-packed stuff and it is far too much for one person.

The other day I saw a rather tasty looking fresh cream apple turnover, but can you buy one? Nope, they are sold in boxes of two. Twice as much as I wanted.
I bought the box and gave the other one to my neighbour because I didn't want to eat two.
It is the same with loads of things.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:46 PM

And what about veg? Do you know how hard it is to buy loose parsnips these days?? I don't want a pack of 6, where most of them will end up brown, shrivelled and orrible!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:49 PM

A tad off subject, I was in Tesco's recently and was highly impressed that there was a large container where they had free fruit for children to eat as they go around the store.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:59 PM

You can't buy the small tins of Heinz beans in our local supermarkets. I've also noticed a lot of small size tinned food is on the top shelf.
I wish I could buy two eggs at a time, always end up throwing eggs away
Luckily my wasband has goats so I can give bread and stuff to him for them, but, I wish I didn't have to!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Green peppers. You cannot buy just green peppers in my local Sainsbury's. You can only get them in a pack along with either yellow or red.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 09:17 PM

deylon you've mentioned little gems before, but you can easily eat half of one at a time surely, that's four helpings in a pack of two...they keep in the fridge for AGES!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Had electricians in last friday week to carry out tests on all my electrical sockets at behest of landlord. Unbeknown to me one of those electricians unplugged my freezer from the power supply, didn't tell he had done so and didn't plug it back in again before he left. I had no reason to go to my freezer until last Tuesday evening, by which time it had been unplugged and defrosted for a full five days. Not only were all four trays half full of water (defrosted ice), but all the food in my freezer had also defrosted and was now useless. I am usually exceedgly careful not to waste food, so imagine my chagrin at having to dispose of a whole freezer full!!! Needless to say, I was in communication with the electrical company early on Wednesday and as a consequence have received compensation for the for the food destroyed.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Good for you!
Shame about the food though
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 08:49 AM

On the subject of fruit and veg, luckily there are still greengrocers in most high streets. True, they may be more expensive than supermarkets, but if you only want a couple of parsnips for instance it saves cash that way.
Same goes for butchers, fishmongers etc.

It's also less wasteful as you can only buy what you need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top