Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 07:34 AM

Airport Drop off and pick up charges.

Hi

I did the Liverpool Airport pickup run last night.

The fees have just gone up from £2 to £3 for a pick up or drop off and £10 if you are there for more than 20 minutes.

It can take you 20 minutes to get out at busy times, particularly if some prat is arguing over the intercom with them.

It is just a rip off and very annoying.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Re: Airport Drop off and pick up charges.

They must have changed it very recently.

I was there 2 weeks ago and the charges were free for up to 40 minutes, then £3 charge for parking up to 20 minutes.

This parking lark is big money.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
They must have changed it very recently.

I was there 2 weeks ago and the charges were free for up to 40 minutes, then £3 charge for parking up to 20 minutes.

This parking lark is big money.
Hi

Yep, changed very recently, just in time for the school holidays.

I have always had to pay the £2 mind, both for drop off and pickup and before it was £6 if you were more than 20 minutes.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have always had to pay the £2 mind, both for drop off and pickup and before it was £6 if you were more than 20 minutes.
Should you be doing it anyway? If your ill health is preventing you travelling to see your sick son, wouldn't you be better not doing airport runs and resting to hasten your recovery?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Was that at the express pick up/drop off zone?

I was told by a taxi driver that there are certain areas where the parking is cheaper than others.

A rip off, in other words.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Doncaster Sheffield Airport near us charge an arm and a leg for dropping off....Nobody is allowed to drive up to the entrance/exit so you have to drive through the barrier and pass through the car park and obtain a ticket before you leave......Scandalous!..
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

12-07-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Doncaster Sheffield Airport near us charge an arm and a leg for dropping off....Nobody is allowed to drive up to the entrance/exit so you have to drive through the barrier and pass through the car park and obtain a ticket before you leave......Scandalous!..
Same as Manchester......a good security measure introduced after Glasgow Airport bombing.

Only Hackney Taxis, licensed by the airport, are allowed in the taxi bay outside the main entrance/exit.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Yep in total agreement. Airport parking is a huge scam and getting worse. It's such a lucrative business that they even have enforcement officers in cars who patrol the campus and side roads to make sure that people don't temporarily park on the grass verges and side roads to try and avoid paying the extortionate fees. It's a classic rip off situation.

It is NO COINCIDENCE that baggage handling and the end-to-end process is hampered and takes longer than it should. It's all an integral part of the scam. The airline/airport states the "expected" arrival time of flights and that's the time people use to determine when they need to be at the airport to pick up their friends and family. Now whilst they can't slow the aeroplane down in flight, when it lands, then the airport is in control.
So they control how long it is before the passengers can get off the plane, they control how long it is before the baggage handlers even begin offloading the baggage, they control how long it takes before the off-loaded baggage is made available to the carousel and passengers and so on.

It is thus very easy for the airports to ensure that the passengers don't emerge in to the Arrivals lobby until 20-45 mins LATER than the public were expecting. That generates a great deal of parking money for them.

It's a blatant scam all round.

What I do, is go and park in the car park of a nearby hotel (there are always plenty to choose from). Typically I choose one with a public coffee bar/lounge so I can arrive early and sit and have a coffee. There are no parking charges for such customers. I then wait until my passenger has actually emerged in the Arrivals terminal and is sat, with their baggage ready to go. I insist they text or phone when that has happened. That is then the point where I then drive from the hotel to the pick-up point. Straight in, straight out. Even so they clobber you for £2-£3 which is a total scam and needs to be outlawed, but at least it stops you paying £10-30 waiting around.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 09:29 AM

These money-grabbing airports really annoy me.

As I've mentioned before, I usually pick up my wife from the on-site bus station forecourt at Manchester. Should they start denying us that option, I have a plan: walk!

No, I don't mean walk home from the airport! Simply walk off-site to the nearest public highway. Pick up the traveller there at the road side. There's nothing illegal about it (unless it's a motorway). Even yellow lines permit you to stop to pick someone up.

If everyone did this, the greedy airport managers would begin to realise that their money-making scam is no longer working. They might even relax drop-off and pick-up restrictions.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Should you be doing it anyway? If your ill health is preventing you travelling to see your sick son, wouldn't you be better not doing airport runs and resting to hasten your recovery?
Hi

I need to get more mobile Twink, the more mobile I get, the quicker I recover.

I have a history of blood clotting, following an injury and subsequent operations and the common anticoagulants, I am immune to.

I have to inject Heparin at the moment.

I am currently awaiting a decision as to whether I need further surgery.

The Doctors will not sign the fit to fly form and it has been quite forcibly put to me, that there is absolutely no point in taking a risk and ending up as bad as my son as then I will not be in a position to help him.

Getting up and about and doing things is the best thing that I can do, resting is not good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top