Join for free
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Snakes

My poor cat was bitten by a brown snake yesterday. She put up a good fight but alas, she was bitten hard. I hate the things. The funny thing is that it was just under the drivers side door of my husbands car. Hmmm, me thinks....time to up the life insurance before summer really hits! (just joking...he's well covered). It must have been a real battle because the snake died too! Have pics just don't know how to load. AAAhhh I look forward to summer... checking the yard before dogs and kids can use.. checking the car so I don't get one on the leg... avoiding the feed sheds and hay bales...Great. We live on 50 acres but can't move from fear of being eaten by something!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Re: Snakes

Sorry to hear about your cat Troopie - is it as wet in Adelaide as it is in Queensland. I understand people are having all sorts of problems with the wildlife because of the floods.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Poor cat. Must say that's one of the things that puts me off moving to Oz - all the spiders and snakes and big wasps n bees
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 05:39 PM

I tentatively cllcked onto this thread because I am terrified of snakes. Thank goodness your cat survived Troopie, are those brown snakes venomous? The UK news is telling us that the floods are bringing in snakes and crocodiles!
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Unfortunately my poor cat died, but she put up a good fight. We have 2 dangerous types of snake in S.A. The brown, and the red belly black. Both venemous but the black a little less so. How to deal with snake bites is taught from a very young age here, along side other first aid. I still scream like a girl when I see one though! The weather here is crazy to say the least. Yesterday it was over 40 again and we were told it would be under 30 today with rain. Thank heavens. I woke this morning to a very hot 35 at 7.30 a.m. and a huge big male red back sitting on my cheek. I'm not joking. You have never heard someone scream so loud! The weather is sending the wildlife nuts. I can't beleive people in the Queensland floods are wading through the water in some places. Very brave or very silly. I saw on the news the guy holding up a few dozen of the wrigglys. Uuuggghh!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Oh, Troopie I am so sorry you lost your cat, what a shame.
What's a red back? ([please don't tell me you had a snake on your cheek!)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TROOPIE ->
Unfortunately my poor cat died, but she put up a good fight.
TROOPIE - I am so sorry your cat died. When we lived in PNG our beloved Labrador was bitten by a snake on her side. Her eyes went all white and she was lucky to survive. About a year latter we noticed a small lump at the place where she was bitten when we all moved back to England the lump got bigger and bigger and she had to undergo surgery to remove it. Then a year latter it started again our vet took a 'sample' and sent to the tropical medicine research institute who were so interested that they authorised our vet to arrange for radio therapy at a famous (human) hospital (We had to take her in the back door) She was anethised (Sp?) and we watched as she slid slowly into this big machine, and then safely behind glass screen we watched as they zapped her with the radiation. It worked right up to her 13th. birthday when we again saw a small lump developing on her side in the same place but as always her back legs had gone by then and we lost her just before her 14th birthday.

Originally Posted by maryl ->
What's a red back? ([please don't tell me you had a snake on your cheek!)
It's a poisonous spider, most famous for living under the seat of the toilet if you had one outside (As a lot of people in the Australian outback did before WWII)
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 11:10 PM

So sorry to hear about your cat Troopie....that's a tragic situation.....
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia

11-01-2011, 04:40 AM

Oh Maryl, that's so funny. A red back is a poisonous spider. The females have a huge red dot on their bum and the males are all black. I've been bitten 9 times so far, 3 females and 6 males. The males make you ill and off colour for a few days but the females sting like heck and cause all sorts of health trouble for months. My first bite was quite funny. My husband is a very calm person who takes everything in his stride and never panics, so after I was bitten, I took a few deep breaths and went inside and told him thinking he would react calmly and deal with the situation. But alas, I said, I've just been bitten, he jumped out of his seat, dropped his coffee and screamed " Oh Crap! Your going to die"!! Imgine how I reacted. I spent the day in hospital and things turned out fine. The most funny thing was where I was bitten. I was picking up a pot plant and put my fingers under the rim so she got me right on the end of my middle finger. Try sitting for hours flipping the finger at everyone and see how fast they serve you !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top