Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Quality of M&S goods.

I think the quality of M&S goods bought online is poorer than in their shops.

In recent years I've had:

A pair of table lamps from M&S and the joint on one of the lamp shades has started to come apart.

A swim suit and the front of it has developed a rough patch of material - much as though it's been rubbed with a stone. I wear this alternatively with a Tesco one bought at the same time and which is still perfect.

A full length dressing gown which is so creased/crumpled it's unbelievable. I think it will have to be ironed every time it's thrown over the back of a chair or whatever one does with dressing gowns.

I think they sell inferior goods online.

Anybody else noticed?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Re: Quality of M&S goods.

Their online stock is the same as what's in the shop. The quality of their stock has reduced over the last two decades, but I remember being disappointed with some of their knitwear as far back as the '80s. I stopped buying underwear there ten years ago when they stopped doing the bras I liked and every bra they made showed up under t-shirts. They used to do nice real wool tailored suits and I've been buying those for years. They still do some and these are a worthwhile investment. But it's really hit and miss with the quality and cut of their other stuff. Sometimes it's fabulous. I've never been able to wear their shoes apart from the "footglove" range which is really comfortable. I must admit I shop there less and less as it's so difficult to find anything wearable. The food section is still fabulous and getting better all the time.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:22 AM

I have to admit I never buy anything from M&S, apart from maybe the odd bath/shower gel, if on offer, or very few items from the food hall. Never buy their clothes, as they don't suit or fit me. And never anything from the Home section either.

It's one of those High Street stores that I mostly steer clear of.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Their online stock is the same as what's in the shop.
That is so.
The local M&S is small and never seems to have the size I want in store so I order the same item online and collect it in the store.

Like most things we buy these days quality has gone down.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Not surprising I suppose.
Asian workers making M&S clothes paid far less than living wage – report

If you want to cheap clothes what can you expect...?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...hind-the-label
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Most of the stuff I wear comes from M&S, the gentleman's clothes are usually very good. Although I never ever buy anything online. I like to 'feel' the material and try it on before I buy. If they don't have it in my size I'll leave it and go see what Debenhams have got.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->

We don't all want cheap clothes ,'buy cheap buy twice'.
I am still wearing good quality clothes I purchased up to 15 years ago (with the exception of underwear) preferring to save up for a long time to buy an item of quality.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->

I don't associate M&S with 'cheap'
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
We don't all want cheap clothes ,'buy cheap buy twice'.
I am still wearing good quality clothes I purchased up to 15 years ago (with the exception of underwear) preferring to save up for a long time to buy an item of quality.
Meg, l totally agree!
I buy good quality clothes from House of Fraser but only in the sales!!
Good quality clothes look good and feel good for longer and don't become raggy looking after a few washes!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:16 AM

I'm a clothesaholic (just made that up, a new word) I have wardrobes full of them, sometimes I find something and I really can't remember buying it or ever having worn it, not good I know.

Actually I quite like M&S I think they try hard to get it right, doesn't always work but I do buy a lot there

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top