Join for free
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Our kids' old toys

I've kept most of the toys and books my two (boy and a girl) had since little, even their old brownie and cubs uniforms. They're in their thirties with five of their own between them now. The years I have suggested they fetch things down from the loft for their kids have always been met with 'Oh Mum but they're mine'.
So when yesterday we had just the kids over I sent my poor husband up into the loft with them. It's a bungalow so it's low but a large area. I could hear the squeals of delight and they brought down the following: A-Team and all the vehicles, Action Man with tanks and submarine, Evil Knievel, Star Wars including the millenium falcon and loads of figures, huge box of lego and loads of old fisher price stuff. My daughter's toys were not so exciting, dolls, dolls house etc. There is so much more up there, hidden behind umpteen other boxes.
They played snakes and ladders and ludo for the first time in their lives and enjoyed these old boys toys more than all the expensive ones they had for christmas, even though four of them are girls. I'll keep them down out of the loft in the spare room and will have to face the wrath of my own two when they next come round. One quick 'nod' from them and I'll be up those loft ladders in a tick hauling down box after box - can't wait!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Re: Our kids' old toys

How lovely for you Maryl. I wish we had kept a few more of our childrens' toys, but we had to really slim down all our stuff as we travelled about a bit. We kept all the Ladybird books and a few other bits, but that's about all.
One toy my children will never forgive me for parting with was a big dressed chimpanzee - we called him Bimbo. I thought they had finished with him and he was very grubby, so I quietly put him out in the dustbin. Much to my embarrassment, where did he end up but strapped to the front of the bin lorry and my children saw him. He was on there for ages and my two never have forgiven me. I tried to tell them what a good life he was having, but it did no good.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Now what were the chances of that?
That's given me a good giggle, sorry Bimbo and sorry to your kids.
Poor you (and Bimbo, how degrading for him). My two would have murdered me, I'm sure.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2011, 03:44 PM

We have none of the kids toys left here, they took them with them when they left.
We have some of out Grand Daughters toys still here somewhere though.
maryl
UK

04-01-2011, 03:48 PM

I wish mine would take their's with them AB. They have their own houses, own lofts! Also got lots of the grandchildren's toys here. I will have to threaten a car boot sale methinks.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2011, 03:50 PM

We just told them that we would take them to a childrens home if they were still here in 2 months time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 12:43 PM

They played snakes and ladders and ludo for the first time in their lives and enjoyed these old boys toys more than all the expensive ones they had for christmas, even though four of them are girls. I'll keep them down out of the loft in the spare room and will have to face the wrath of my own two when they next come round. One quick 'nod' from them and I'll be up those loft ladders in a tick hauling down box after box - can't wait
Hi Maryl I still have lots of toys and games in the loft and look forward to teaching the twins to play snakes and ladders/ludo/chess. I think these are old favourites which will never die in spite of all the new technology.
maryl
UK

07-01-2011, 12:58 PM

You are so right Meg, they're timeless and a lot of today's games are based on them.
I've been thinking about this and what I would actually do if my two said to get rid of them all. It was me who saved, boxed and hoarded them, they didn't ask me to keep them. So ...... I will keep everything and bring things down before the grandchildren grow out of them. I've got two coming later on today, got Worzle Gummidge and Aunt Sally dolls with interchangable heads, Wombles, ET and Dukes of Hazard stuff. Probably be bored as they're not on the telly! Maybe my two can sell them on Ebay when I fall off my perch?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top