Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Parcel Tracking

Hi

Do you ever do this?

Track your Parcel online to see where it is?

I ordered 2 new tyres for my car from an English Company, was under the impression the 72 hour delivery was from the West Midlands, the UK address.

Nope, they are coming from Poland, the Company itself being registered in Andorra.

The tracking is fascinating, coming from Lodz, where I was based in Poland, a completely different way to the route I drive..

They have gone North, dispatched in a few hours, first stop Nothern Poland,then across Germany to Holland, a depot in Best NL,late last night.

They are due at my house tomorrow.

This is a totally different route to the one I drive to Lodz, I do not go into the Netherlands at all,France and Belgium is my route.

I will be fascinated to see if they do arrive on time, and to follow the route.

The daftest route I have seen so far, is a parcel from Telford, picked up and sent to Northampton, Northampton to Stoke, Stoke to Wrexham, and then here.

I am only 30 miles from Telford.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Re: Parcel Tracking

You get them delivered?

Is it cheaper to do that and get somebody to fit them?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Yes - I track parcels - on Friday I ordered 1200 Yorkshire Tea bags from Taylors at Harrogate - they are arriving today via Leeds !

That is just a local one - it is fascinating to track the journeys of some of the Crafty stuff I order.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You get them delivered?

Is it cheaper to do that and get somebody to fit them?
Hi

Yep, very much so.

They are cheapo boring tyres, but still a B in wet grip, which is what I want.

215/50/17, rated W , up to 168 mph, with rim protection.

£83.24 for the pair delivered, £20.50 plus VAT for fitting, valves, balancing and the rear tyres swapped to the front.

Total £107. 94.

Cheapest available within 30 miles, £135 fitted.

When I had my last car, much bigger and flasher tyres, saving of £81 for a pair, or if Kwikfit, a saving of £136 for the pair.

I am a tight Yorkshire Git and proud of it.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Being housebound in the winter months I tend to buy alot online especially around xmas so I track alot of my parcels. Being an ex courier it now does not bother me on routing.
I worked for one company in Bermondsey SE London and I collected from the Audit Commision in Vincent Square SW1 and it had to be delivered to Audit Comm: Whitehall SW1 next morning before 9.30am.

Collected at 17.30 hrs Vincent Square.
Dropped at Bermondsey 19.00hrs
Scanned/collected and delivered to the hub in Birmingham at 23.00hrs.
Scanned in Birmingham at 3am and put on trailer.
Delivered to Bermondsey at 5.30am.
I scanned and loaded onto my van by 6.30am.
Delivered to Whitehall before 9.30am.
That parcel had travelled hundreds of miles to be delivered a mile and a half up the road from where I collected it the previous day.
I ceased long ago asking why now I just smile and say its a funny old world.
Imagine the carbon footprint of these parcels and even envelopes. We create work that really is not needed and we wonder why costs are so high.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 10:37 AM

I sometimes track my parcels but not all sites are helpful. Sometimes they say it's on it's way but they mean on it's way to the warehouse, not my house.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 10:40 AM

I did order some wallpaper online once which was half the price it would have cost here. I received it the next day and when I checked the details, I found it had come from Belgium.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 11:43 AM

It will be interesting to see how Amazon trials it's drone delivery service which will in theory save carbon footprint but will generate a whole new era of annoying disruption to normal life. I'm surprised they might be allowed to do this.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
They are cheapo boring tyres, but still a B in wet grip, which is what I want.

215/50/17, rated W , up to 168 mph, with rim protection.

£83.24 for the pair delivered, £20.50 plus VAT for fitting, valves, balancing and the rear tyres swapped to the front.

Total £107. 94.

Cheapest available within 30 miles, £135 fitted.
This just seems crazy, to have to transport tyres over from Poland ! Made me have a quick search. I found these:

Black Circles

Budget Tyre - Wet Rating A
£56.21 fitted

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogu...?tyre=33516065

Halfords Mobile Service

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/list/4/215-50-17

215/50/R17
TOTD Value XL Tyre
£57.99

Speed W
Wet Rating B
Fuel Econ C
Extra Load - 95

Osset Tyres

KINGSTAR SK10 215/50/R17 91W
Wet Rating - C
£54.71

http://www.ossetttyrehouse.co.uk/searchresult

So roughly £108-£115 for 2 tyres fully fitted. Not really that far from your £107.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Hi

Sadly, very few tyres now made in the UK, so the vast majority of what you buy will not be British.

I bought the tyres from a UK Company, just found it fascinating they were coming from Poland and not Dudley.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top