Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Compulsive Liars.....Why?

Compulsive liars? Why do they do it? Is it a medical condition, a trait or just a way of life?
I knew someone that lied through his teeth. I could even prove that he lied but he still protested his innocence!
I always tell the truth. To me, only cowards lie! Liars, insult your intelligence!
Do you, or did you know any compulsive liars? Can you give any examples of their lies?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 07:12 PM

Re: Compulsive Liars.....Why?

Art I think some people lie because they feel inadequate so they make things up to appear more interesting .
For others it is to get themselves out of trouble.

What they appear not to realise is when found out they risk losing someones trust for all time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Compulsive liars? Why do they do it? Is it a medical condition, a trait or just a way of life?
I knew someone that lied through his teeth. I could even prove that he lied but he still protested his innocence!
I always tell the truth. To me, only cowards lie! Liars, insult your intelligence!
Do you, or did you know any compulsive liars? Can you give any examples of their lies?
It's called 'taqiyya'.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Art I think some people lie because they feel inadequate so they make things up to appear more interesting .

What they appear not to realise is when found out they risk losing someones trust for all time.
I totally agree with that Meg. I am quite good at detecting liars , but when they lie, it not only destroys my trust in them but they also lose my respect.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 07:34 PM

It's something certain people learn when they are children and they find it's an easy way to get out of trouble and to get what they want. So a coping mechanism that becomes a way of life. People who do this usually crave acceptance and admiration because they are very insecure. The guy I knew who did this all the time, a friend's ex-husband was an alcoholic and compulsive gambler. He was extremely charming and extrovert, but only when he'd had a drink (which was most of the time). He had a very cold and distant father and an unhappy childhood so this was his way of dealing with a reality he didn't want to face.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 07:59 PM

We all tell lies from time to time. Some we call white lies - do I look fat? Would you mind doing such-and-such for me? What does this dress/wallpaper etc. look like that I've spent a fortune on?

We lie for a variety of reasons and I don't believe anyone who says they never lie.

However, compulsive liars IMO are mentally ill attention seeking inadequates.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Yep, I agree with that, Meg.

If I found out I had been lied to, it would alter everything, because my trust would be gone, so feelings would change.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
We all tell lies from time to time. Some we call white lies - do I look fat? Would you mind doing such-and-such for me? What does this dress/wallpaper etc. look like that I've spent a fortune on?

We lie for a variety of reasons and I don't believe anyone who says they never lie.

However, compulsive liars IMO are mentally ill attention seeking inadequates.
I never tell a white lie.

Damn, I just did.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 09:44 PM

I think you can slip into a fantasy world if you spend too much time on your own. In a previous occupation, I came across a good many Security Guards, given the fact, to make ends meet, they put in 60 hour working weeks, they certainly squeezed a lot, according to them, into the remaining awake hours.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 09:54 PM

My wasband no 2 lies all the time.
His eldest brother was very bossy and liked by the parents, middle brother was ill a lot so my ex, the youngest used to make up things to get attention.
That's how it started I think.
Trouble is he never stopped!
He doesn't just lie about small stuff, it's everything, including paying mortgages etc. Which is why I'm where I am now!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top