Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Irish Pubs R.I.P.

I see on tonights news the president of the Irish vintners federation appealing to the government to set a fixed price on alcohol in the supermarkets as the pubs are going out of business here (1300 closed last year). The publicans had it too good here for too long and when the smoking ban was introduced it was only the thin edge of the wedge, when they refused to lower their scandalous prices punters began to buy their drink in supermarkets and drink at home (surprised?). This became a habit and the pubs were left empty, except for special occasions (births, deaths, weddings, birthdays and the like). As the people in a pub make a pub, the publicans are the victims of their own greed and I haven't an ounce of sympathy for them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Re: Irish Pubs R.I.P.

You surprise me Jemflux. I would have thought the Irish pubs would still be thriving, even if British ones seem to be in decline.
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 09:09 AM

You should all come here. We have 2 pubs per town. We have 3 families in our street, about 15 people all together, and we have 2 pubs down the road. Watch the news about the floods in Queensland when they pan the streets to see everything, notice the pubs are all sandbagged! Men leave their wives and kids to sand bag the houses while they go and save the pub. It's histerical! But, may I add...very worthwhile!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 08:39 PM

That made me smile Troopie - is it true that women are not fully accepted in some of the Aussie pubs? (unless, of course they help with the sandbagging).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top