Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Old wives tales

Do you believe in any of them? Is there any truth in some of the more ridiculous ones?

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is apparently true so says a survey carried out a few years ago. Apples are good for the heart apparently and a survey carried out using a number of 50+ year-olds as guinea pigs found that they were more healthy on average than those who didn't eat as apples daily.

Any more folks?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Re: Old wives tales

At this moment I can't think of any but wanted to say that I think the wise old crones new what they were on about . I'll get thinking now so post later
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
At this moment I can't think of any but wanted to say that I think the wise old crones new what they were on about . I'll get thinking now so post later
Very true Susan. I'm sure there are some, er, 'elderly wives' in this very vicinity who may have some teasers for us
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 04:34 PM

I have always eaten my crusts, I had curly hair.

The only one I can bring to mind is "Red sky at night, shepherds delight, red sky in morning, shepherds warning"
Based on scientific facts I believe.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->

The only one I can bring to mind is "Red sky at night, shepherds delight, red sky in morning, shepherds warning"
Very rarely has that failed me when deciding whether to go fishing or not.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Never pick up a dropped knife or a stranger will call.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->

Isn't it red sky at night Shepherd's delight, red sky in the morning...his house is on fire.!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 05:25 PM

What's the difference between an old wives tale and a superstition?

Anyway, the old wives tale, l have thought of is...
When someone holds a threaded needle over your tummy to see if you are having a boy or a girl!
I'm not sure which way it swings to indicate which sex? All l know, it was always wrong for me!!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
What's the difference between an old wives tale and a superstition?

Anyway, the old wives tale, l have thought of is...
When someone holds a threaded needle over your tummy to see if you are having a boy or a girl!
I'm not sure which way it swings to indicate which sex? All l know, it was always wrong for me!!
Didn't do much for me either..
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 06:07 PM

When I was a kid dad used to give me the cabbage water to drink , he told me I'd never get spots . I drank it and never ever have had spots. None whatsoever

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top