Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 08:03 AM

First Saturday

Good morning everyone and welcpme to 2011

Not just a New Day dawning but a New year as well a year where you could find everything that you want, I certainly hope it is such a year for you.

Have a wonderful start to your new year and please spare a thought for those who are facing a new future without a loved one who was by their side last year.

bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Re: First Saturday

As usual I knew exactly when the new year arrived as all the fools with fireworks have been blowing themselves up for the past 15 minutes. It's not safe on any highway as the partying drunks will be out killing themselves and others. Somehow this is not our shining hour each year. People are soooooo stupid.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Wow Antibrown, that`s a loud message! Can you turn it down a bit until my head clears Ha Ha..

Happy New Year to one and all.

Barry
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Good Morning AB, Bob, Barry and All and a Very Happy New Year to each of you and hope 2011 will be a better year for everyone.

Very quiet here - a few out with fireworks but not many. So different from when I was a wee girl.

Have a lovely day everyone and take care and stay safe.

And Lang May Yer Lum Reek and Sporran Squeak and "Here's Tae Us, Wha's Like Us an' De'il the Yain"!!

That's a wee New Year wish to you all
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Happy new year to all. I'm off to the pub for a hair of the dog and I'll have to listen to all my mates spoofing about what they're giving up in the new year, it's the same every year, but they never keep the promises.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Happy New Year, all. Quiet day here, been transferring birthdays, anniversaries, etc. from last year's calendar to the new one; sort of sad as some are no longer here... We're having a mini-thaw, 10 C (49 F); cloudy and rain later, but nice to be above freezing for a welcome change. Fixing the traditional Hoppin' John dish tonight for good luck in the coming year. Leia's having a post-breakfast nap beside me on her thermal mat.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Fixing the traditional Hoppin' John dish tonight for good luck in the coming year. Leia's having a post-breakfast nap beside me on her thermal mat.
DM, I am wondering what this is? I don't want to google it, I would love to hear from you what it really is please? Whatever it is, it will sound tastier coming from you
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Maryl, traditionally black eyed peas (beans) are eaten for luck in the coming new year. Basically it's a dish consisting of meat (usually ham, bacon or sausage), onions, green pepper, garlic, black eyed peas served over rice with a garnish of shredded cheese and some hot pepper sauce if desired. I prefer the bacon myself, Saute the vegetables in the bacon grease (oil added if needed). add peas and some chicken broth and simmer on low about 10 minutes or so, add crumbled bacon and serve over the rice/

There are dozens of variations, but that's basically it.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Hope everyone enjoyed the first day of the year. Been very quiet round here-have been on 2 long walks today and then went round to my friend's house for tea-enjoyed not having to think what to make for a change, and didn't have to do the washing up either.......did offer, but the answer was no.....don't have to be told twice!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Maryl, traditionally black eyed peas (beans) are eaten for luck in the coming new year. Basically it's a dish consisting of meat (usually ham, bacon or sausage), onions, green pepper, garlic, black eyed peas served over rice with a garnish of shredded cheese and some hot pepper sauce if desired. I prefer the bacon myself, Saute the vegetables in the bacon grease (oil added if needed). add peas and some chicken broth and simmer on low about 10 minutes or so, add crumbled bacon and serve over the rice/

There are dozens of variations, but that's basically it.
Thanks for this DM, it does sound delicious. I love black eyed beans, my old aunt used to have a bowl of these in her fridge most times for my uncle. My brothers and I used to pinch them and leave just three or so!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top