Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:34 PM

Red kite

My garden has been devoid of birds all day .
Now I know the reason
Just been out in the lovely summer everning and delighted to see the most beautiful red kite circling around .
This is so rare .
I saw one yesterday too at a different location .
What a privilege to see this stunning bird .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Re: Red kite

I am lucky because I see them daily here, Muddy.
There are loads of them.

Sometimes they swoop quite low just above the rooftop.
You can see the white pattern under the wings and how huge they are when they come low like that.

I know their call now, and can often hear them 'whistling' even if I can't see them.

Last year when I drove past a big commercial rubbish tip, there was group of 11 of them all circling round together like formation dancing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 11:01 PM

Wow Mups before yesterday I had never seen one.
I was surprised how big they are too but how graceful, masters of the sky.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Wow Mups before yesterday I had never seen one.
I was surprised how big they are too but how graceful, masters of the sky.

A perfect summing up Muddy. "Masters of the sky". I like that.
They certainly are graceful, and seem to just glide and glide without hardly moving their wings.
Recently one was being chased by a whole gang of blackbirds, I don't know what he'd been up to. They didn't half make a racket.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 06:49 AM

I remember first seeing a Red Kite some 35 years ago in Mid Wales. At that time there were only two or three pairs of the birds left in the UK. Today, just like Kestrels, they have made a fantastic comeback and have made it all the way up the M4 and M40 corridor to London. I was shopping in a garden centre in Harmondsworth (nr Heathrow) a couple of weekends ago when I saw a pair circling overhead. The garden centre owner said they were quite common nowadays.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 09:31 AM

I must be the only person here who hates them. They were introduced at Harewood House in Yorkshire in 1999, where I live we now have hundreds of them.

They take all the birds, I have even seen them take a pigeon flying at low level in my garden. I never see sparrows now, not ever, I reckon they all moved or have been wiped out.

I'm not sure we should mess with nature, maybe they were endangered for a reason.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 09:39 AM

I saw a lot of Kites recently these were at a place called Timber Creek in the NT.

They spent hours circling looking for food, if there was some burning off they came in dozens watching for small animals fleeing the fire. They are one of the few birds of prey that can eat their prey on the wing.

In the creek there were freshwater crocs this one was a couple of metres long.

Fresh water crocs are slow growing and pretty timid (not like salties) even turtles share the water with them.

Above them in the trees were hundreds of bats.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	170603 077 Timber Creek Kites.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	3262   Click image for larger version

Name:	170603 071 Timber Creek Bats.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	3263   Click image for larger version

Name:	170603 048 Timber Creek Freshwater Crocs.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	3264   Click image for larger version

Name:	170603 035 Timber Creek Turtle.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	3265  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-07-2017, 09:46 AM

What lovely pictures, Bruce.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 08:15 PM

How the times have changed. When I first came to this area Kites were only around the skies near the Northants border. Now they are so common over head. And we are getting Buzzards as well.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top