Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Just William.

The Wife taped 3 of the 4 stories on BBC of 'Just William' and I watched them today with my two Grandsons, what a great laugh we had. I had read most of the books when I was a kid and loved them. The BBC are to be congratulated for making the stories look so fresh while retaining their original settings.
Footnote: I had always thought Richmal Crompton was a Man, what a strange name for a Woman.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Re: Just William.

I used to listen to the Just William stories and really began to believe he was real.

She was a great writer who just drew you into her stories as though you were a part of them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2010, 12:03 AM

I can remember reading the Just William books as a child. I used to laugh at the scrapes he got himself into and wished I had thought of some of his ideas and schemes - even though they seldom paid off.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2010, 12:07 PM

I loved the Just William books when I was a child. My mates and I used to play "Just William" on our local bomb site. I always wanted to be William, but was typecast as Ginger by my red hair. Our "gang" catchphrase was stolen from William and the Outlaws - "Stans to reason! dunnit!"

Luckily these were the days before political correctness, so working class oiks like us could enjoy books about comfortably middle-class kids without feeling "alienated" or "offended!"

Mick
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2010, 01:08 PM

You are right Mick, there was never any offense or envy, we were content to make the best of our surroundings and have our fun and games, it was like 'That snobby old cow up in the big house won't let us play in her field', but we did anyway.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top