Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 06:57 PM

Great Sentimental Journeys

Have you, friends or family experienced a great sentimental journey?

Mine was minor - a trip up to God's County, namely Great Driffield in Yorkshire. Found the Anglican church where I was christened. Even still have the parish magazine with my name in it. Can't describe the feelings....

Many years ago, two great friends in Berkshire had retired, but she contracted breast cancer which was terminal in about six months. Husband arranged a flight to India (in secret) to take her to the places he had told her about. During WW2, he was a major in the Indian Army. They flew out there for a couple of weeks and being totally in love with each other, the trip almost overwhelmed them emotionally. After he helped nurse her at home till she passed away. They are both gone, and I have lost touch with their three sons, but will never forget them
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Re: Great Sentimental Journeys

I may have written about my journey before but it was the first time in over 40 years I visited the tiny island 10 miles off the coast of Newfoundland where my dad was born and where I spent the first two years of my life, although I was born in the UK. I was too young to be able to have memories of living there but the visit was very emotional. It is such a beautiful peaceful place, uninhabited now but former residents have holiday homes there. I hope to visit again in the near future, I just seem to connect with the place.

I was in Driffield last week Dobra, its a lovely little market town about 10 miles from where I live.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top