Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Sir Nicholas Winton

I've been watching this story all week in the news, they called him the English Schindler, I thought he rescued only the one train of children but it seems he did 6 journeys rescuing over 660 kids.

Sadly on the last run from Prague the nazis had invaded Poland and the sods grabbed all the children from that train, only 6 survived the war.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Re: Sir Nicholas Winton

It is an amazing story isn't it? He's rather an unsung hero
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 04:40 PM

What an amazing and truly humble man - I saw bits of the story on tv. The best heroes seem to be the ones who don't attract attention.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 05:13 PM

I have been watching bits of that too, he is so unassuming, he didn't even tell his wife about it until she came across some papers, a truly amazing man.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Its a great story of the compasion of humanity for others isn't it.

I also think thats the thing about Hero's they are mean to be "passable in the street" because I really think that 99% of the population regardless of age, race,gender have it in them to be a hero...in some shape or form.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

His story makes you feel very humble-have to agree with you Kazz, everyone has in it them to become a hero in one way or another

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top