Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:02 AM

Vintage Cameras

As a collector of some old film cameras, I picked up in a charity shop a few months ago two Zeiss cameras for a fiver each. The first was an Ikon with Nettar lens and the second a Super Ikonta with an eight speed Compur shutter and an uncoated Carl Zeiss Tessar lens. Engineering quality A1.

The Super Ikonta is about eighty years old, is in near mint condition and all functions work. I have just run an old 120 BW film through it. The viewfinder is a couple of prisms in the viewing housing and by rotating the large wheel next the lens, moves the lens in and out. Operating generally is a breeze, but slow. I have seen some shots from BW film and was quite impressed. Now to have the film developed...but where (excluding the IoW)?

Seen some for sale on evilbay for £300 plus. Will your digicamera still be working or in use in eighty years....?

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:07 AM

Re: Vintage Cameras

Nope i doubt it Dobra, most Digi gear is superseded very quickly, a young lad at a former camera club haunted car boots buying up old film cameras for little expense and the quality of the cameras compared with modern gear was beyond compare.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:33 AM

The Ikon is also well engineered, but aimed at the then point and shoot brigade who wanted a faster approach to snapping.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 11:50 AM

I've got a few too, Mulchro Ensign something or other a no 2 folding Brownie, a Voigtlander, box Brownie and a couple of others with cases.
I know nothing about them and they're probably rubbish.
They're all very battered, but I just love the look of them, I use them as ornaments (sorry)
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Nice kit!

I have a cabinet full - and I try to get at least a film through each one every year! I have my favourites which does mean some tend to get neglected. I'll stick a few pix up of some of them when I get chance.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Here are two of my faves - Little & Large.

Voigtlander Bessa R3M - 35mm

Fuji GW690 - medium Format 6x9 - 8 shots on a roll.

Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

22-06-2017, 06:32 PM

A late friend had the GW. He was a pro snapper and one afternoon we went south to the lighthouse near Niton (I carried his thumping great tripod) and he took some cracking shots - printed them on 16x20 inches paper.
His only mistake was at the beginning - he bought two lenses and the body from Jessops, and non of the staff knew the square root of damn all about the product or photography......

https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/light...visitor-centre
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

22-06-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've got a few too, Mulchro Ensign something or other a no 2 folding Brownie, a Voigtlander, box Brownie and a couple of others with cases.
I know nothing about them and they're probably rubbish.
They're all very battered, but I just love the look of them, I use them as ornaments (sorry)
Is the Voigtlander a 35mm Tessa ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 07:20 PM

No its called a Brilliant, I'm not sure which film it took it says 6X2 B2 it's a box camera. I'll take a photo later.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

22-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Of course, Voigtlander and Rollei were close neighbours, so the former had to make a twin lens reflex to compete with the pre-war Rolleicord. Not sure whether one was better than the other, but someone may know. I have a non-working Rolleicord 1 from 1934/6 which only has a Triotar cheap lens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top