Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 11:52 AM

About time too

Billy Connolly has been given a Knighthood. I am so pleased for him. Congratulations big yin.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 12:29 PM

Re: About time too

Great! I'm so pleased for him. Should have happened years ago. He said he won't let it go to his head until the Glaswegians start calling him Sir Billy or something else! Still got your sense of humour then Sir Bill.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Delighted He certainly deserves it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 12:46 PM

l bet the Beckhams are pig sick that David missed out again!!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 02:53 PM

It was nice to see him and Im glad he has finally been acknowledged but sad at how frail he looked..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Giving out gongs to all and sundry makes the value of receiving one less important. I notice that those in the entertainment business seem to get more than their fair share of them and everyone else doing a more important job are not recognised or even get a mention.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 04:11 PM

I see also that Olivia De Haviland at the ripe old age of 100 (cutting it a bit fine) has also received a `Damehood` along with Julie Walters, June Whitfield and soprano Sarah Connelly (no relation to Sir Bill )
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I see also that Olivia De Haviland at the ripe old age of 100 (cutting it a bit fine) has also received a `Damehood`
My goodness yes ... how strange and I wonder why it was left so long.
Is it just because of her age ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 06:13 PM

So you get a knighthood for telling a few jokes, but if, as the last Dambuster Johnny Johnson for instance you risk your life time after time in a bomber over Germany in the darkest days of the war you just get an MBE?

There is something seriously wrong with our so called honours system, when you are more likely to get an honour just for being famous than you are for laying your life on the line for your country or serving your fellow man.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

17-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
So you get a knighthood for telling a few jokes, but if, as the last Dambuster Johnny Johnson for instance you risk your life time after time in a bomber over Germany in the darkest days of the war you just get an MBE?

There is something seriously wrong with our so called honours system, when you are more likely to get an honour just for being famous than you are for laying your life on the line for your country or serving your fellow man.
Good point Barry.
Another mess this country's in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top