Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 06:59 PM

£10 Poms

Remember the good old days when you could get to OZ for £10 assisted passage. If they reintroduced it would you go? I certainly would.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Re: £10 Poms

Like a shot.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Too scary.

They have bigger, more bitey bugs than we do
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:22 PM

When my son was 13, he wanted all the expensive designer names clothing. I said, if he wanted them, he'd have to go out to work as l wasn't prepared to provide them!
I rang round several hotels in the area to ask if they had any vacancies for school children at the weekends and holidays.
Luckily, one hotel did and he worked as a waiter/porter and earned lots of money.
He spent some and gave me the rest to save for him. I opened an Investment Account with the post office and l deposited some of his earnings in there.
Some years later, he decided he wanted to do the back packing thing through Asia and work in Australia. He did this but needed money to be accepted for work in Australia.
Luckily, with interest rates at 10%, his money saved in the post office had accumulated and he had enough to be accepted into Australia.
The rest is history! He now has 'residency' there and has started his own company!
OK, l hardly see him but l am very proud of him!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:27 PM

My son is an Australian citizen .
I miss him it's so far away I wish we had moved there when the children were young .
It's too late now I have my other sons and grandchildren here .
I was last there two years ago.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My son is an Australian citizen .
I miss him it's so far away I wish we had moved there when the children were young .
It's too late now I have my other sons and grandchildren here .
I was last there two years ago.

Muddy, I envy you! I have never been to see my son in Australia as l wouldn't leave my dogs!
My surviving dog is now 15 but once he's gone, l will go to Australia to see my son!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:49 PM

At the age of 18, the eldest sibling of a paternal gt gran, emigrated to NZ.

She went on to have 15 children with the man she married. He already had 4 children from his first marriage.

A while before WW1 kicked off, three of my paternal grandfather's older siblings emigrated to OZ, so I'm guessing I must have relatives 'down under' somewhere.

Maybe if I was in touch with any of them I might think about it .. dunno
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
At the age of 18, the eldest sibling of a paternal gt gran, emigrated to NZ.

She went on to have 15 children with the man she married. He already had 4 children from his first marriage.

A while before WW1 kicked off, three of my paternal grandfather's older siblings emigrated to OZ, so I'm guessing I must have relatives 'down under' somewhere.

Maybe if I was in touch with any of them I might think about it .. dunno
I remember reading about Groucho Marx when he did a stint as a quiz show host.
He was lightheartedly making conversation with one of the contestants.
He asked the man how many children he had and the man replied 18.......
He went on to ask the man why did he have so many kids......
The man replied that he liked kids......
Groucho said, "I like smoking cigars, but I take it out of my mouth occasionally!"

I'd love to visit Australia but we couldn't leave Mrs Fox's 90 year old Dad on his own.
He has since passed away, so every cloud..........The world is our Whelk?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:49 PM

I have a brother who was a £10 pom,he went out there 40+ yrs ago,I've never had the urge to follow,but,(there is always a but) our eldest daughter is out there now,so next summer there is a plan to go visit.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Yes I'd encourage my kids to come too , I'd even pay their fares . I'd love to emigrate to Adelade but my kids won't come so I can't go without them .

I've even offered to give the money from my house to help them buy a big one as long as I've got a little flat attached .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top