Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:01 PM

Unfair, Or Is It?

Hi everyone, would like to know what your views on this are please.

My brother received a letter from a debt enforcement agency last week dated 26th May 17, demanding payment for a parking fine from 6th December 2013!!.
It was delivered by the postman on Thursday 8th June 17 demanding that £99 fine be paid no later than Friday, 9th June 17 (next day!!).
They were acting for the Creditor, UK Parking Control Ltd, who control parking at Meole Brace Retail Park, Shrewsbury.
My brother was shocked to receive the letter as he had no recollection of the offence, but later on in the day he suddenly remembered.

On the 6th December 2013, he had taken my late SIL who was terminally ill, shopping in their disabled vehicle to do a little Christmas shopping. He found a space in a Disabled Parking Bay
He recalled that he parked up, opened the side door, lowered the ramp to get her out in her wheelchair and at the same time reached across to the driver’s side, opened the glove compartment, took the Blue Badge out, turned the arrow to the time, made sure it was in full view and the correct way up, and then closed the door. After checking my SIL was okay, he raised the ramp and locked all the doors before pushing my SIL in her wheelchair to the shop that she wished to go in.

When they returned 20 minutes later, he was shocked to see a Parking Warden putting a ticket on the windscreen. When he asked him why, the Warden said “You’re Blue Badge is out of date”. My brother said “It can’t possibly be, I only received the replacement two days ago!” and looked at the Blue Badge on the ledge. He had only picked up the expired one out of the glove compartment instead of the new one that he had been issued. Of course. he apologised profusely to the Warden and showed him the new Blue Badge. He asked him if he could please cancel the ticket as it was a genuine mistake made in his haste to assist my SIL with the ramp and the wheelchair. The Warden said “No, once issued it cannot be cancelled, but don’t worry about it, write to UK Parking Control Ltd and explain that it was a genuine mistake and they will cancel it”.

My brother wrote them a letter as soon as he got home, explaining everything and included a photocopy of the new Blue Badge that he had in the vehicle He appealed to them to please cancel the parking fine as it was a genuine mistake. He sent the letter by recorded delivery.
He heard nothing back from them, my SIL happily saw the Christmas that she wanted and we lost her early in 2014. My brother stayed in their home for over 6 months before deciding to move to a smaller property. He paid for any mail to be redirected to his new address but all that time he never once had a response from UKPC Ltd and in his grief he said he never once thought about it. In fact, he admitted it had gone completely from his mind until he received the Debt Agency’s letter on 8th June 17 - 4 years later.

Now the dilemma is that I have been reading online about what to do when one receives a letter from a debt agency. Apparently they have no rights as such. Unlike Bailiffs or Court Sheriffs. All they can do is demand payment by letter, phone or call at your door. (not usual for a parking ticket) they get a commission on every payment they receive but that is as far as they are allowed to go.
It suggests that one should go direct to the Creditor appeals and hope for the best.
The problem is that it was 4 years ago and he hasn’t even got a copy of the Blue Badge for that period,or any evidence now. He has written to them appealing for them to cancel the fine but feels that everything seems to be against him after all this time has lapsed

What do you think his chances are? Is he guilty or not guilty?

Your views would be appreciated please.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:07 PM

Re: Unfair, Or Is It?

Some of the parking enforcement companies act outside their jurisdiction but it can be a difficult matter to resolve. Can I suggest you copy and paste your message on the Money Saving Expert Forum - I think there will probably be people on there who have had to deal with the same issues. Good luck
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:15 PM

It might be worth telling them the facts as you have here.
If the reply is hostile go straight up Citizens Advice.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:18 PM

It's about where the onus sits, the system does not account for flexibility, especially if there is a Jobsworth, trapped in the scenario.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:19 PM

Huh Ho Lindyloo How do I cut and paste in OFF? I'm not ofay with computers. I know how to cut and paste from my Google Documents by CRTL X and paste by pressing CRTL V on OFF but no idea how to do it on OFF from one forum to another,
HELP!

Thanks Bruv, Knowing my bro though he will just pay up if it goes against him. Too honest for his own good methinks.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:25 PM

SG - Put the cursor at the beginning of the area you want to copy and paste, hold down the left mouse button and swipe the area to be copied. OR.........just retype into Money Saving Expert.

Good luck
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:26 PM

Don't pay it - have a look :
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...arking-tickets
Thieving barstewards will do anything to intimidate you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Seems grossly unfair to me Shroppy. But what to do about it I don't really know.
I wonder why they have taken so long? Ridiculous.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-06-2017, 10:30 PM

Hi Spitfire, you think the same as me. Jobsworth, but unfortunately he was quite correct in issuing the ticket. Surely though there should be a system in place to cancel a ticket at the time when it is a genuine and honest mistake. It makes me really angry on his behalf.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-06-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
SG - Put the cursor at the beginning of the area you want to copy and paste, hold down the left mouse button and swipe the area to be copied. OR.........just retype into Money Saving Expert.

Good luck
Thanks Lindy xx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top