Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Who has read the Bible from cover to cover?

I have read the Bible many times, and my views on that book come from my reading of it.

Sadly there are some Christians, not all by any means, who are Biblical literalists and believe every word in that book to be not only true but dictated by the god character therein. How on earth those who have read the Bible can actually believe it to be a god of love, if it really exists, beats me.

What excuse do Biblical literalists give for god apparently killing every human and animal in the world apart from Noah, his family and a few chosen animals when it flooded the planet? Only a total psycho would do something as evil as that.

Then there is the idea of god getting a young girl pregnant without a ring on her finger, and no doubt leaving her open to ridicule. 33 years down the line his 'son' suffers the terrible death of crucifixion to clear up the mess his dad created when he put human nature together. There are many other stories of its wickedness, but those two will do for now.

Terrible things have been done in the name of extreme Christianity over the centuries some rivalling the awful things being done today by extreme Muslims. Of course not all Christians are bad anymore than all Muslims are, but it is the extremists who bring both religions into disrepute.

I am of the opinion if Jesus was around today, knowing what some do in his name he would be appalled if he was a decent guy.

I was unfortunate enough to be brought up in the extreme Christian evangelical dogma delivered by the Pentecostal (Elim) church I attended. The hell-fire sermons Sunday after Sunday were sick, and then some. The idea that if you don't get 'saved' you will burn in hell is crazy, especially as god apparently makes it a matter of faith, with no evidence to substantiate it. Scaring children and the vulnerable with this nonsense, which I know for a fact still goes on today, is abuse of a very evil kind.

We have all heard of child abuse carried out by some priests in the Catholic Church, and covered up by the church. We have also heard of the disgusting way unmarried mothers were treated in Ireland when sent to those hell holes the Magdalene Laundries.

If there is a god why is it sitting on its cloud doing nothing about human suffering, unless it is enjoying the spectacle?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Re: Who has read the Bible from cover to cover?

If you've read it several times why can't you answer the questions asked of you?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
If you've read it several times why can't you answer the questions asked of you?
Rhetoric, look it up.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:30 PM

The Pope. ?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Rhetoric, look it up.
Hello monkey boy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:45 PM

I've not managed to get all the way through, but I've dipped in and out and found some of it very helpful.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:50 PM

I have ... it was decades ago though. I think the version was 'The New Living Bible'.
I think I'd hit a 'why are we here' contemplative moment in my life.

It didn't answer to any need within myself or resonate or strike a chord .... too many inconsistencies. Can't remember them offhand as it was a long time ago.

But then it's a faith and as far as I can see something that has to appeal to the heart (and Soul?) rather than the intellect. So trying to reduce it to words or lessons or something to recite by rote parrot fashion rather reduces it's power and the inspiration, meaning or solace it can impart to those who do believe.
For those that choose to .. why not? There are worse things to believe in.
I include all faiths in this as long as they do not impel the Believer to inflict harm on others.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:54 PM

I once read the cover....
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:56 PM

Never judge a book by its cover...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

08-06-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I once read the cover....
Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Never judge a book by its cover...
Amen to that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top