Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:23 AM

What Is The Difference Between An Opinion And An Argument?

Why do some see an opinion as an argument when the poster was just giving their honest opinion?
What do you think is the difference between an opinion and an argument?
Do you think there is a fine line between the two or, is it the fault of written word where an opinion can be misconstrued?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:27 AM

Re: What Is The Difference Between An Opinion And An Argument?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Why do some see an opinion as an argument when the poster was just giving their honest opinion?
What do you think is the difference between an opinion and an argument?
Do you think there is a fine line between the two or, is it the fault of written word where an opinion can be misconstrued?
I think honest opinions are ok, however much people might disagree with them, unless they are racist or homophobic, which is not acceptable. It is when people start calling others names etc is when it gets to be an argument.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:28 AM

I think it becomes an argument when personal feelings, dislike for other person etc - become involved.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:36 AM

An opinion is just a view.
An argument develops when the opinion is not accepted, is contested and sometimes, unfortunately, in a nasty or confrontational way and that's usually down to getting overheated or carried away or a personality clash involving last worditis.

Opinion should ideally lead to debate ... not an argument.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:38 AM

I've never seen two thugs square up and say "You Lookin for an Opinion".
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I think honest opinions are ok, however much people might disagree with them, unless they are racist or homophobic, which is not acceptable. It is when people start calling others names etc is when it gets to be an argument.
I am neither racist nor homophobic, but I believe strongly that people should be allowed to express their opinions whatever those opinions might be. By all means argue against them, take the p*ss out of them - but no-one should be denied the right to express their opinion. That way lies unacceptable authoritarianism and worse.

An opinion is just that - an opinion. An argument/discussion/debate is when two or more people discuss the differences between their opinions in an attempt to convince others that their opinion is correct (and vice versa).

Name calling etc in the course of an argument/discussion/debate is just childish nonsense usually revealing the weakness in someone's argument.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Thing is ... it's often when someone makes the accusation racist or homophobic that the sparks fly.
Who defines what is racist or homophobic?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thing is ... it's often when someone makes the accusation racist or homophobic that the sparks fly.
Who defines what is racist or homophobic?
She does, constantly.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I am neither racist nor homophobic, but I believe strongly that people should be allowed to express their opinions whatever those opinions might be. By all means argue against them, take the p*ss out of them - but no-one should be denied the right to express their opinion. That way lies unacceptable authoritarianism and worse.

An opinion is just that - an opinion. An argument/discussion/debate is when two or more people discuss the differences between their opinions in an attempt to convince others that their opinion is correct (and vice versa).

Name calling etc in the course of an argument/discussion/debate is just childish nonsense usually revealing the weakness in someone's argument.
In that case maybe IS should be permitted to express their evil opinions! I DON'T THINK SO!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:46 AM

I think an argument is when two people of differing opinions won't agree to disagree, then it gets personal.
We all want to be "right" don't we?

Even when we're wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top