Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 12:08 AM

Warts.

Does anyone know how to get rid of warts?. My Daughter has two on her right hand between her index and middle fingers making it awkward using the keyboard in her workplace.
Strangely enough, when I was in my twenties I had two warts in the very same place. An older workmate told me to dab a tiny amount of nitric acid (we used the stuff in work) on the warts, I did, and they completely vanished overnight! I need not tell you where my Daughter told me to go when I suggested this remedy. Anything less drastic?.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 12:20 AM

Re: Warts.

You know the Red sulpher matches, my mum always used to say, wet the wart and rub the match onto it several times a day until it disappears.
Never tried it, never had warts, I am a good witch.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 03:18 AM

You can buy stuff at the pharmacy to dissolve them. This is an old wives tale, but it works: rub dandelion sap on them regularly and they will disappear ... unfortunately December is no time to get dandelion sap... I got rid of a nasty one that way.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 09:44 AM

I once got a wart which grew when I got the plaster cast off my arm, I got stuff from the chemist to put on it (can't remember the name of it) and was told to use a pumis (spelling?) stone over it, which I did. It came off and never came back within a couple of weeks.

I remember hearing that if you tied a thread at the base of the wart, it would eventually fall off - but think that may just be an old wives tale!

Here are a couple of links, which may be of use/interest -

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/un...-rid-of-warts/

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/he...-with-vinegar/

http://www.askdeb.com/blog/beauty/ho...-rid-of-warts/

Hope one of those helps!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 01:02 PM

Thank you all for your help, I will tell my daughter your suggestions and let you know what happens. I had prepared a small acid bath as a last resort. 'Acid bath?' that sounds like a murderers solution, what was yer mans name back in the 40's, Haige?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Formalin gets rid of warts, or salicylic acid, but be careful not to make your skin too sore when using these chemicals. Warts can spread sometimes if they are disturbed and many people advocate letting them have their time out and they will disappear on their own when they are ready.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 11:18 PM

One of my Nieces had lots of warts on one hand and was very conscious of them. She went to doctors and he gave her some tincture to paint on them. Took a while for them to disappear, but they did and have never come back.

The following is not recommended-When I was young, and stupid, I had quite a large wart on one of my fingers which I kept catching and making bleed. Got fed up with it and one day sliced it off with a razor blade!!!!!! Couldn't believe how much it bled....it never came back though!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 11:24 PM

LOL, I'll stick to dandelion sap!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Brave girl Merz, sorry if I'm laughing here, I can just picture an angry young girl gritting her teeth and slicing it off with a blade.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Brave girl Merz, sorry if I'm laughing here, I can just picture an angry young girl gritting her teeth and slicing it off with a blade.
Don't know about being brave Jemflux, but I did have to grit my teeth

Another stupid thing I did when I was young was smash a heavy book on a Ganglion Cyst on the back of my hand! Someone told me if I did this the fluid of the Cyst would disperse and wouldn't come back! So I did-thought I'd broke my hand in the process!!!!! That didn't come back either, but how naive was I

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top