Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Doorstep Salesmen

Do you get many round your way?

I have just this minute had a bloke round here, trying to talk me into letting him clean and treat my block paving driveway.

I said he could leave me a leaflet but that's all for now, thank you.
He then said he had just finished one at a house round the corner (how convenient), and needed to get another one one TODAY! Cheeky beggar! He expected to do it there and then. I couldn't believe his cheek!!

I said to him he must be joking, did he think I had just fallen off a Christmas tree? I said I would never be pushed into something done immediately like that!

He just carried on talking as if I hadn't even spoken.
Talk about cheeky rotten toe-rag.

I had to just walk away and shut my door to get rid of him in the end, and he actually had the cheek to look quite offended!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Re: Doorstep Salesmen

Be careful Mups, there have been distraction burglaries where people try to keep you talking at your door while another goes around the back and takes stuff.
Good for you giving him a flea in his ear!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 02:53 PM

No last time anyone called here he had a case full of yellow dusters must have been 20 years ago and couldn't seem to understand I prefer white ones.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you get many round your way?

I have just this minute had a bloke trying to talk me into cleaning and treating my block paving driveway.

I said he could leave me a leaflet but that's all for now.
He then said he had just finished one at a house round the corner (how convenient), and needed to get another one one TODAY! Cheeky beggar! He wanted to do it there and then. I couldn't believe his cheek!!

I said to him he must be joking, did he think I had just fallen off a Christmas tree? I said I would never be pushed into something done immediately like that!

He just carried on talking as if I hadn't even spoken.
Talk about cheeky rotten toe-rag.

I had to just walk away and shut my door to get rid of him in the end, and he actually had the cheek to look quite offended!!
Most take note of our notice saying, 'No cold callers'. Those who don't get it pointed out to them, before the door is firmly shut.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Mupsy,I fitted some wrought iron gates to the side of the property so the dog can watch the world go by. Last week, I was sitting at the side of the house, and I could hear a couple of young lads talking to each other at the neighbours front door, the conversation along the lines "You are to soft on people, you need to put them under more pressure", well a moment or two later our door was knocked, the dog went into her usual crazy mode, and I went to the gates and said hello, the young chap said the usual "!Hi, I'm not trying to sell you something", meanwhile, the dog had charged through the house and joined me at the gates, she was going bonkers, all the geezer could say was "does that dog bite", I said, put your arm through and find out, he said I'll call some other time.
Money well spent, no one comes near the place when she is out
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Well done Spitty. Trouble is, my lot welcome people, even go and fetch toys for them! Bloody traitors.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 03:04 PM

Years ago when we were first married, a salesman called at our bungalow, as I was about to shut the door he put his foot in to try to prevent me doing so. I guess because I was young, only 19, he thought I would fall for his spiel! I continued to shut the door, he soon got the message!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well done Spitty. Trouble is, my lot welcome people, even go and fetch toys for them! Bloody traitors.
Mine too mups annoyingly
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 03:38 PM

We used to have a lot of them calling round trying to sell anything from solar panels to new drive ways - then we were designated as a 'no cold calling' area - end of problem. Every lamppost has a warning plaque attached and we were all given warning stickers/cards to put on our doors, together with a telephone number to call to report cold callers.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 03:55 PM

Even living in flats we can't get away from them because sometimes a neighbour lets them in! Most of us assumed it was either a tenant from the rental flat, or the neighbour next door (who got me off the allotment). Neither households know any better. So that's two out of six. The remaining four of us (1 other rental) are very security conscious.

So we demand to know how did they get in, and then tell them to go away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top