Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 11:59 PM

Why is silence so moving?

I always observe the minute silence after tragic events and on remembrance days and it always brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat. Not just because of the thing we are remembering but also the fact that so many others are silent at that exact same moment. For some reason, the thought of so many stopping what they are doing and being silent, I find very moving. It's as though we have briefly come together as a nation. Of course, when the minute is up, we all return to normality.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 12:02 AM

Re: Why is silence so moving?

It's such a simple act....nothing special in itself but it means so much.

I know what you mean.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 12:03 AM

Why is silence so moving?
I guess because in a world filled with noise where we rarely get the chance to experience silence anymore, when we do it allows long forgotten thoughts to creep into our minds...
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 12:06 AM

It can be eerie when you're in a supermarket as I was once and suddenly the world ceases .. human activity falls silent .. there's a connection of thought and feeling that has a power of it's own. You can feel that power. It's very humbling.

Even more eerie is when everyone moves again like robots reaching into the freezer, packing their shopping, all pretty boring and unimportant, almost like a veil has dropped back down over another world that was glimpsed and is hidden again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 12:30 AM

I know what you mean Mort, and I agree.

Sorry to be boring, but you probably know I do yoga, so I can go into silence whenever I choose, but the 'collective silence' dongle said about is powerful and very different. I can understand him being moved.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 06:49 AM

When you were at school and teacher said " Stand still and be quiet" we all did but our minds were still thinking what they were when we were making the noise.
When a group of people come together, in memory of a tragic event, I feel that we are all thinking of that event and when an emotion is shared with so many it seems to be much stronger.

When I was at school one of the pupils was killed in a car crash. The head teacher asked us all to do a minutes silence, to remember her. Valerie, the pupil, had only been at the school for less than a year, so many pupils didn't know her and a few probably didn't really like her, but when we ended the minute, I don't recall many people who weren't drying tears with their handkerchief.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 06:52 AM

It is very moving to be in a city or busy place at such a time because it is so unnatural. It adds a significance to remembrance.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 08:12 AM

Last week, walking around Culver Cliff, here on the Wight, was so quiet it made my ears rush. Such quiet moments allow the mind to swirl in chaotic directions and can lead to greater creativity to me as a photographer
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 08:38 AM

I make a point of observing these silences, I believe it is important to do so.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It can be eerie when you're in a supermarket as I was once and suddenly the world ceases .. human activity falls silent .. there's a connection of thought and feeling that has a power of it's own. You can feel that power. It's very humbling.

Even more eerie is when everyone moves again like robots reaching into the freezer, packing their shopping, all pretty boring and unimportant, almost like a veil has dropped back down over another world that was glimpsed and is hidden again.
Very eloquently put Mort..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top