Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Christmas Bores.

The Wife and my Son were having a drink with me at our local pub last night and we were all in great spirits for the season that it is. At about 9 o'clock a cousin of the Wife, who we hadn't seen in years, joined us at the table and that was the end of our joy. She is in her late 40's, single with a well paid Government job and the most boring person on Earth. From the time she sat down she talked about herself, her great job, her lovely house, her new car,etc. nobody could get a word in edgeways. the Son made some excuse and left, and who could blame him, in the meantime I was stuck with her and was just about to tell her to stuff herself when my good Woman said, 'Jimmy, why don't you have a game of darts with the Men in the back room?'. Bless her, I was off like a bat out of hell.
I'm telling you this as a precaution for the days ahead of Christmas when you'll bump into all sorts of bores in the public house, 'holly and ivy drinkers' as my Mother used to call them, so be on your guard.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Re: Christmas Bores.

Funny you should say that. I was in the pub the other night and spotted an old school friend but her Old Man was there and in spite of all our hints just sat there like Victor Meldrew so we couldn`t get stuck in for a good gossip. Finally my mate told him to go and play with his friends so we could have a proper chinwag.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2010, 03:23 PM

I often get mistaken for a bore, Christmas or otherwise because I'm so quiet. It's hard for some to realise that when you are as deaf as I am, chit-chat is impossible so I have to sit there giving the impression that I'm listening when in reality I can barely make out a word.
I avoid pubs for this reason normally but last Saturday I took my wife out for an early evening meal as it had been her birthday a couple of days before.
I went to where I thought you had to order the food but a young barman told me I needed to go to the main bar so I did.
When it was finally my turn the barman then told me that I had to go to the other till and served the next person.
I waited patiently then he came over and mumbled something that I couldn't hear so I asked him to repeat it and got that usual look and a loud Tut so I explained what I wanted but he interrupted me but without looking up.
Another loud Tut and he repeated it - I hadn't told him the table number. By this time I was eyeing a bar stool to throw at the window but I persisted and rejoined my wife.
This pub is not exactly local to me and it's not cheap but I wanted to treat my wife until this moron nearly upset me for the evening.
Next time I'm subjected to this sort of thing or people think I'm some kind of killjoy I'll loudly tell them I'm deaf again and again until they behave better. stevmk2
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I'm telling you this as a precaution for the days ahead of Christmas when you'll bump into all sorts of bores in the public house, 'holly and ivy drinkers' as my Mother used to call them, so be on your guard.
Been there, done that Before I chucked the day job I used to have to go to the office Xmas parties (They knew I stayed in Londoon during the week so I couldn't use the excuse that I had to get home to the missus.)

Anyway, over the years I just found that the discussions were all the same, no one seemed to have anything interesting to talk about, moans and groans about work, and some of the people in the office, and the under 25's trying to get as much alcohol down their throats as possible in as short a time as possible.

So now, despite there being two pubs within walking distance I shall not be attending either of them, firstly there is a language problem and secondly I can't see the converations being all that different.

The odd post on here and a few other forums will suffice for social chit chat for me
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Jemfux, have you not learnt that it is fatal to ask someone to tell you about themself?

I just tend to wait for a lull in the 'all about me' conversation and say' isnt it your turn for the drinks'
when they go to get the drinks the front door of the pub opens up magically for you to escape.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Perhaps she doesn't get much chance to talk to anyone if she is on her own! Hope you won at darts to compensate!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2010, 03:47 PM

As I said before AB I'm a slow learner, but thats a good tip for the future.
I cant stand people who talk about themselves and their possessions all the time as if their lives were the most important happening in the World, maybe it is to them but not to anyone else.
Yes, I did win a few bob at the darts Brandykins, and I enjoyed the rest of the night in less self-centred company.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top