Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 07:17 AM

The art of speech.

Are we loosing it?

I dont mean the whole posh accent waffeling on with big words sort of thing , just the idea of being able to string a sentence together in a decent fashion so that other people can follow the thread of the conversation.

I was reminded of how annoying people can be this week on BBC breakfast when they had a young man who had been caught up in the Manchester bomb attack as a guest but when he tried to describe what had happened I ended up turning over because his language was so limited.

it went something along these lines....
*Well right, I was like going down the aisle like, and like, I like, heard this bang like, and like, everyone like, started like, to panic like,.....*

Its not just him, Ive noticed the use of well , right , yeah and like creeping in all over the place as if they are a substitue for punctuation.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Re: The art of speech.

Absolutely Cass, but some of the journalists ask some stupid questions.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 07:42 AM

I know exactly what you mean Cass but perhaps we should remember that this man may have still been in shock, so not able the think clearly.
Many years ago a coach, carrying a lot of injured teenagers, crashed through the fence of one of the fields near my house. Being first on the scene, I did what I could to help and then the BBC turned up to interview me. In the morning I went into delayed shock!
I never heard my interview so I will never know if I spoke as I normally do.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 07:47 AM

He was probably nervous being on television, not being used to it. I'm sure I would be speechless especially after such a traumatic experience.
I imagine he came across as coherent beforehand or they wouldn't have asked him.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 07:50 AM

I do understand that in this case it might have been shock that contributed but its not just this young man its everywhere.

This was just the worst Ive seen recently and it took away any meaning of his statement.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 08:14 AM

I was brought up to speak received English and it has stood me in good stead over the years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I was brought up to speak received English and it has stood me in good stead over the years.
Well done Ma'am.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 08:57 AM

I love the various dialects and accents within our country, it will continue to evolve with time despite the attempts to change it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 09:44 AM

There was a man interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning who answered every question with 'So'. I find that really annoying for some reason.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There was a man interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning who answered every question with 'So'. I find that really annoying for some reason.

Yes dongle, and another one is "Erm" before answering everything too.

Perhaps we're just getting old and grumpy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top