Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 09:21 PM

My local council

Just a whinge about my local council.

We got a new washing machine a few days ago as the old one packed up... quite noisily.

Obviously, we needed to dispose of the old one, so looked into council services. Yes, they do dispose of bulky items at a price and, yes, they can collect from inside our home. Good news because there's no way I could carry it down our long path with eleven steps!

So, on Friday morning I attempted to make use of the council's 'live chat' facility, pressed the button on their web site and... nothing. Tried several times without luck and so decided to telephone.

Yes, as you might guess, several buttons to press and then a bit of a wait for a human being. Eventually, a human answered and assured me that, yes, they can collect from our home. Wanted to take my credit card number for payment - good, things are moving but, oh no, computer says no! Apologies; our computer isn't working. Please call back this afternoon as it might be fixed.

Called again at four o'clock. 'Yes, the computer seems to be working now, please give me your credit card details again.' That done, and collection almost in the bag... and, 'Oh dear. The computer has stopped working'. She assured me that she would call me back on Monday morning. OK.

No call on Monday morning (as I confess I had half expected). 'Live chat' still not working. Telephoned once again, but this time a new development. The telephone message, as usual, informed me that they were very busy but this time they must have been even more very busy as I was then cut off. Tried again: same outcome. Still no return call all day, so I decided that was that.

Called a local scrap merchant found on our local Facebook page. 'Yes, will be there in three minutes.' Wow! 'How much do you charge?' 'Nothing'!

Arrived three minutes or so later. Sucked air through teeth and made some comment about the number of steps(!) but, when I apologised for forgetting to mention the steps and said I'd give him a tenner (half the cost of the council's 'services'), 'Right. Let's get on with it then!' and off it went.

Now I know what you may be thinking. Yes, it could be that he intends to fly tip it, although as he apparently doesn't charge I'd like to think that he is a genuine scrap merchant and sells on raw materials.

Even if it is fly-tipped, I don't care. The bloody useless council can tidy it up!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 09:47 PM

Re: My local council

Ours sounds as though it's on the way out after15years.
I know from past efforts not to bother council when wanting to dispose of white goods.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Ours sounds as though it's on the way out after15years.
I know from past efforts not to bother council when wanting to dispose of white goods.
I've learnt the same lesson!

A shame, though, as the disposal service is part of what we pay for in our council taxes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

We got a new washing machine a few days ago as the old one packed up... quite noisily.

Obviously, we needed to dispose of the old one, so looked into council services. Yes, they do dispose of bulky items at a price and, yes, they can collect from inside our home. Good news because there's no way I could carry it down our long path with eleven steps!

So, on Friday morning I attempted to make use of the council's 'live chat' facility, pressed the button on their web site and... nothing. Tried several times without luck and so decided to telephone.

Yes, as you might guess, several buttons to press and then a bit of a wait for a human being. Eventually, a human answered and assured me that, yes, they can collect from our home. Wanted to take my credit card number for payment - good, things are moving but, oh no, computer says no! Apologies; our computer isn't working. Please call back this afternoon as it might be fixed.

Called again at four o'clock. 'Yes, the computer seems to be working now, please give me your credit card details again.' That done, and collection almost in the bag... and, 'Oh dear. The computer has stopped working'. She assured me that she would call me back on Monday morning. OK.

No call on Monday morning (as I confess I had half expected). 'Live chat' still not working. Telephoned once again, but this time a new development. The telephone message, as usual, informed me that they were very busy but this time they must have been even more very busy as I was then cut off. Tried again: same outcome. Still no return call all day, so I decided that was that.

Called a local scrap merchant found on our local Facebook page. 'Yes, will be there in three minutes.' Wow! 'How much do you charge?' 'Nothing'!

Arrived three minutes or so later. Sucked air through teeth and made some comment about the number of steps(!) but, when I apologised for forgetting to mention the steps and said I'd give him a tenner (half the cost of the council's 'services'), 'Right. Let's get on with it then!' and off it went.

Now I know what you may be thinking. Yes, it could be that he intends to fly tip it, although as he apparently doesn't charge I'd like to think that he is a genuine scrap merchant and sells on raw materials.

Even if it is fly-tipped, I don't care. The bloody useless council can tidy it up!

Ten pounds eh? It's £35 in my area.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Did the credit card payment go through?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Ten pounds eh? It's £35 in my area.
No. The council charges £20 (well, £19.99 to make it sound less). The scrap merchant said he'd take it for nothing!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Did the credit card payment go through?
I sincerely hope not. When I gave them my number, they told me that their computer wasn't working.

Also, they haven't been back to me to arrange a date, so if they have taken the payment I shall have something to say to them.

I'll check my account.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

It shouldn't be the council's job to get rid of your junk you pay to have it taken away!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
It shouldn't be the council's job to get rid of your junk you pay to have it taken away!
Predictable response, I suppose.

Whatever you might think, it IS the council's job. They are responsible for maintaining a clean environment, including street sweeping and waste disposal. It is part of what we pay our council taxes for.

You may be blissfully unaware of it, or more than likely you didn't read my post carefully enough, but the council DOES charge for removing bulky items and I DID attempt to pay for it being removed.

My beef is that they were too incompetent to deal with my (repeated) request.

I'd like to politely suggest that you get your facts right before criticising me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Could be due to cut backs on staffing, a situation that is set to worsen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top