Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Dissolving the Dead

Read a fascinating but somewhat grisly article on a BBC website last night about an alternative to burial and cremation where the body is dissolved in a mixture of chemicals instead.

The body is placed in a large pressurised container and sealed then at the press of a button, a collection of chemicals mixed with water is introduced and the chamber heated up. Because the chamber is pressurised, the boiling point of the water is increased so as to make the process quicker. Apparently, it's the same process that a body goes through when it's decomposing only accelerated. When the process is over, the skeletal remains are washed thoroughly and the resultant liquids can safely be disposed in a normal sewer. The bones are put into a grinder like you find at crematoriums and ground to a fine white powder not unlike flour to look at.

If you're as morbid as me and find such things fascinating, you can read for yourselves here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...lving_the_dead
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 11:45 AM

Re: Dissolving the Dead

Ooh no Judsy, that's 'orrible. I'm not going to look at that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Read a fascinating but somewhat grisly article on a BBC website last night about an alternative to burial and cremation where the body is dissolved in a mixture of chemicals instead.

The body is placed in a large pressurised container and sealed then at the press of a button, a collection of chemicals mixed with water is introduced and the chamber heated up. Because the chamber is pressurised, the boiling point of the water is increased so as to make the process quicker. Apparently, it's the same process that a body goes through when it's decomposing only accelerated. When the process is over, the skeletal remains are washed thoroughly and the resultant liquids can safely be disposed in a normal sewer. The bones are put into a grinder like you find at crematoriums and ground to a fine white powder not unlike flour to look at.

If you're as morbid as me and find such things fascinating, you can read for yourselves here.

Would it be possible to reconstruct the skeletal remains?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Cor, imagine if you weren't properly dead! I think l will also give the read a miss!
It was bad enough and l still can't get it out of my mind how the woman at the funeral directors, reached up on a shelf full of jars and presented me with my mother, like she was a jar of sweets at a sweet shop!
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 12:16 PM

I`m all ears....! Could well be the alternative which i`ve been looking for. The entire process must be a lot cheaper than your normal, run of the mill burial..And, certainly far less polluting than a cremation...Worth looking further into...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bayardicus ->
I`m all ears....! Could well be the alternative which i`ve been looking for. The entire process must be a lot cheaper than your normal, run of the mill burial..And, certainly far less polluting than a cremation...Worth looking further into...

For yourself? Or someone you don't like.

You say about less polluting, but what would be a safe way of disposing of many vats of body-melting chemicals safely?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
For yourself? Or someone you don't like.

You say about less polluting, but what would be a safe way of disposing of many vats of body-melting chemicals safely?

If you read the article it's `greener` than both burial and cremation as the chemicals involved are organic and there's no traces of human DNA left whatsoever.

Go on.... read it.... you know you want to.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

22-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Would it be possible to reconstruct the skeletal remains?
For what purpose?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

22-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Cor, imagine if you weren't properly dead! I think l will also give the read a miss!
It was bad enough and l still can't get it out of my mind how the woman at the funeral directors, reached up on a shelf full of jars and presented me with my mother, like she was a jar of sweets at a sweet shop!
Same as being locked in an airless coffin and stuck in the ground to suffocate or die screaming in agony as the flames engulfed your body while being cremated. Chances would be very slim.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Providing it is not damaging to the environment it is a brilliant idea. A corpse is only waste material after all. I cannot for the life of me see why anyone makes such a song and dance about them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top