Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 09:58 AM

Grumpy And Old...But We're Wise To All Those Lies!

Morning everyone, Best time of the day, sitting here with my cuppa and smiling to myself as I read a letter in the letter’s page of today’s DM. Talk about describing ME to a tee…… so on a lighthearted note, thought I would share it with any baby-boomers among you out there.

I’m getting too old for all this. The bean counters in the capital have come to the shocking conclusion that the proportion of state pensioners will soon outstrip the workers required to fund their lifestyle.

The phrase “baby-boom generation” might have given them a clue about this at any time over the past 70 years. When the last servicemen returned in 1947, there was an explosion of new babies. Today, those babies are grandparents, and at least two more generations have appeared.

This grumpy, irascible old codger was one of those babies. I am newly retired and feeling the effects.
The phrase “I’m getting too old for this” starts at about 55 and can be heard up and down islands - from taking out the rubbish to tottering down to the shops. It’s the crusty generation’s universal mantra.

Yes, there will soon be more of us than there are taxpayers funding our begrudged state pittance.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s better than nothing, but it falls way below what the rest of Europe’s pensioners get. It’s occurred to me that we are pulling out of the EU so the Government does not have to pay us geriatrics the going rate.
“Too old for this” also applies when we hear the stuff spouting from the lips of those wanting power in Westminster.
Do they think that we are totally thick? Being around a bit longer than most allows us the wisdom of age to kick in. When it’s all over and a government gets in, we will still be here, up front and in your faces, not giving a flying fig, grumpy, irascible, moaning and irrelevant to most, but still alive and kicking.

I know you’re thinking, who is this twonk? Since you ask, I am a faceless worker who put in more than 50 years of hard graft, paid my dues and raised a family. I would like to see out my days in peace and not be lied to, misled, browbeaten, patronised or swamped by over-educated, non-entities who are all brains and no common sense.
I’m getting too old for all this.

Unquote

Couldn’t have spoken a truer word. Treat us with disrespect at your peril.
By the way, thinking about it, Where is our spokesperson for pensioners? Back in the day when we used to have some respect for Labour and the Unions, we had good people like Jack Jones fighting for rights on our behalf but who does it nowadays??? I have no idea, do you? I believe it is some ex television personality called Joan somebody or other. Shows how effective she is! I can’t even remember her name!. Talk about ruddy invisible!!
Anyone know her full name please?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Re: Grumpy And Old...But We're Wise To All Those Lies!

Hmmmmm I agree especially about it starts at 55 I've started saying it with my birthday in sight. Putting bins out at work the lift down to the underground refused to go back up, I looked at the stairs and thought I'm too old for this
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:10 AM

LOL Julie, my mantra seemed to start at about age 63 when I was yet again stuck in the stuffy, packed waiting room at Telford as yet another train was cancelled, knowing I wouldn't get home until gone 8pm when I would only have two hours before it was time to go to bed. I used to get so fed up with it, always thinking..I'm too old to be putting up with this malarky!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Dame Joan Bakewell? She used to be the voice of the older generation but not sure that she is still involved.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 02:22 PM

'We' are still a surprise, after all these years, all of a sudden.....the somebody to blame.

What were all those Census forms I filled for ?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Sorry, but have always felt the opposite, but maybe the difference has been I worked as an independent, where age can be a distinct advantage. One client referred to me as a guru (blush) although I was not. My biggest frustration has been not feeling brain dead, although the clients have long departed.

Introspection can be too much for some, I prefer positive thinking and adapting to the current and future environment?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:12 PM

What amuses me is the proliferation of new Care Homes being built to cater for the demand, of the boomers, but, the supply is slowing, have the speculators missed the boat.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Or, have the Actuaries not been consulted.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top