Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 09:34 AM

Modern Art and stupid prices.

Hi

I cannot get the hang of this Modern Art thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39971348

$110 Million for what to me is a scrawl.

Any views?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:14 AM

Re: Modern Art and stupid prices.

Something I think really summed it up for me was we went to a gallery years ago in Devon, couldn't understand most of it but was trying to show the kids a bit of culture, we saw an exhibit on a plinth and said at least we know what it is, several people gathered round making guesses at what it meant.

Then a man in overalls walked over calmly picked up the exhibit and walked away eating out of the box.

Yes we'd all been oohing and aaaghing about his lunch box and flask !

That for me was the end of any pretence modern art was anything but a bad artist pretending they were cleverer than the rest of us.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:22 AM

No I don't understand it at all. I prefer realistic art myself.

The only thing I would say is that sometimes those scrawls are more difficult to paint than they look.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 11:17 AM

I think it's dreadful that that is classed as art. Art is most of the classic painters, sculptures, not that rubbish. Even my friend who is an artist dislikes the modern stuff. She can't see the point of it either.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 11:37 AM

For me Art is something that a talented artist creates, and the talent is displayed by their ability to paint or sculpt something that resembles a person or a scene.
I have always found it difficult to appreciate something that looks like it was produced by a toddler..... in fact I think the toddlers often produce something more realistic!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 12:01 PM

It's quite hard to paint in a childlike way .
That's what Lowry said anyway .
He said it took him 10 years to learn to paint like a child
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Any views?

Blimey, that's twice today I've agreed with you Swims. x
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Any views?

More money than sense.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 06:12 PM

This sort of thing escapes me. Same as these mega-rich oligarchs who splash out on super yachts or swimming pools full of wine.

True, it's their money, but this kind of monetary gluttony disgusts me when there is some three-year-old child somewhere in Middlesborough whose parents are desperately trying to find ten grand in funds to send her to New York for an operation that could save her life.
Sometimes wealth has such an arrogance about it that goes beyond their own credible shame.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 06:36 PM

I think it’s a very clever con trick thought up by a group of talentless artists sitting in a Paris boozer back in the late 1800’s, and the baton has been taken up by talentless painters ever since. Bad and all as Hitler was he saw through this and ordered thousands of modern “Art” works to be destroyed, the modern art purists still cry criminal vandalism to this day about that, to my mind it was the one good thing that he ever did.
The trick is to paint any old scribble on a canvas and let the people think they can see something there, a bit like looking up at the sky at fluffy clouds on a Summers day, they will resemble all sorts of things to all sorts of people looking at them. The public do all the work trying to figure out what they see and the conmen just sit back and collect, once they have established a name, like Picasso for example, the name alone takes over and ‘Painter’ is made for life, he can then 'paint' three dots on a canvas and it's a sure winner, nice work if you can get it.
But can they really be blamed for taking money from rich stupid fools, who have more money than they and their offspring could spend in a hundred lifetimes?
The Kings magic suit of clothes is a good example of modern art, it’s all in the mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top