Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 02:11 PM

Fun question!

So, Here we are, you are waiting in a queue to be helped off the Cruise ship that is stricken. Don't worry though, just beyond the surf to your right is a very large desert island.
There is nothing one can do for the ship before she eventually goes to her watery grave but you and everyone else will be alright because of this island.
There is plenty of room to wander but... there are NO trees, there ARE Lions and PLENTY of bugs. You could be there for months or even years before rescue.
The captain has said that each passenger can bring strictly only two items from the ship, not a single item more. So if you say for example .. 2 fridges full of food..... no good, because your two fridges are the two items only. If you bring one fridge you can only bring one item of food as your second item.
You can't bring any planes, cars, trucks or the cruise ship itself, and no Electronics allowed either.

So what precious two items of your choice would you choose to bring with you.

My two items would be:

A large,sturdy pair of scissors so I could trim my hair as and when needed, get the sand out of my fingernails, stab any bug that dares to come near me and open oyster shells.

My second would be a huge bag of Weed. Not because I ever take drugs but if it is going to be years before any rescue and I am taken ill, I would want to be so out of it I wouldn't worry about the pain as would be in la la land.
Mind you, I would have to bury it somewhere that no-one else could find it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Re: Fun question!

A large plastic sheet and a roll of barbed wire.

The sheet could be used to catch fish to eat during the day and could capture condensation to drink at night.

The barbed wire would be used to keep people and lions away from my fish and water.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 03:13 PM

LOL, Nice one Judd, I hope you would share the plastic sheeting and barbed wire with me to protect me from Lions and big Bugs and people trying to find where I buried my Weed. I would of course let you use my scissors to gut and clean the fish that you catch, and of course I would share a spliff with you if you are not well.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 03:34 PM

My knitting needles and some wool.
I could knit warm clothes, a net to catch fish, use the needles for protection and throw the wool for the lions to play with to distract them. (it would have to be a very large ball)
If I'm not allowed two needles, I'll have to have a crochet hook instead.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Bear grylls and ray mears
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Jennifer Aniston and a carton of cigarettes.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 06:14 PM

The lions element of this question rather spoils it TBH. Everyone is going to get killed by the lions unless there are guns.

Without the lions then as Judd highlights, your number one priority is a way to make potable water. There are numerous ways, a plastic sheet to make a still is one, but you're never going to be able to make enough for the typical number of crew and pax from a cruise ship !

Distilling sea water is likely the only realistic option so a priority item is going to be an axe to fell trees/branches to make fuel for fires to run a water distiller. A distiller is then the other item you need which could be a large steel drum or anything metal that can hold sea water and stand up to fire temperatures. Too many other things needed for any serious chance of survival really unless it's just a case of taking a radio and waiting for rescue.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:01 PM

A couple of flaws in your assessment Realist. The barbed wire will keep the lions at bay until such time they have killed each other off. There are no trees on the island so an axe would be irrelevant unless you use it to kill the lions. No trees means no fire for the still (same goes for lighting Shroppy's spliff) and how would you capture the condensate from the still?

Would be an idea to see how many passengers are stranded so we could make the best use of the items chosen.

So far we have three viable choices, a large plastic sheet, a roll of barbed wire and a pair of scissors. The weed could be put on a rock heated by the sun I suppose and the ensuing `fumes` could keep the insects away.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Ahem! My suggestions are far more practical!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My knitting needles and some wool.
I could knit warm clothes, a net to catch fish, use the needles for protection and throw the wool for the lions to play with to distract them. (it would have to be a very large ball)
If I'm not allowed two needles, I'll have to have a crochet hook instead.
Sorry Tessa, Knitting needles and wool would be three items so a crochet hook it would have to be. Blimey that would have to be a very large ball of wool indeed to knit clothes, make a net to catch fish and throw the wool for the lions to play with!

I would defo vote for you to be in Judd's gang though, as you seem very industrious with the wool!! (it has to be known as Judd's gang cos he has the barbed wire to protect us from the lions).

Has anyone thought to bring Toilet rolls???? There are no trees, hence no leaves!!! oh, and a large box of Swan matches for my spliffs when needed please, we can all share the fumes.

Realist, I'm a bit worried about the axe!! with no shelter from any trees, one could go crazy from the sun and it could be a case of being put in danger, for example it could be a case of "Shroppie, I'm hoooooome!" whilst poor little me, not at all well, is partaking of the dreadful drug and wouldn't see or care about the large grin on your face as you stride towards me with that bloomin axe!!

LD and Primus, What are the odds that Bear and Jennifer were on that cruise ship???? so NO, not allowed to conjure up people, sorry!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top