Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:01 PM

What can photography do for you?

Although started off with a box brownie 127 many years go I didn't give it much thought. it was point and shoot and mainly hope.

Now I end to look at things a bit differently. let me explain

Ask anyone about say a flower and the reply will be "oh its a nice colour" or similar and nothing else.

Taking a photo of the same flower is entirely different. One might consider how the light falls on it- where it is situated- how tall it is - any blemishes and best angle to photograph it from and set up a camera accordingly.

So there is a vast different in just seeing against properly looking.
yes there is all the techie stuff as well a camera can do as well as framing a shot, but the basics is looking at a subject first
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Re: What can photography do for you?

Yes, I'm attracted to it too but for somewhat different reasons. Still not ready to take the plunge though. I get the feeling that dissecting something will take away it's true meaning (or beauty) - if you see what I mean.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:37 PM

t is not so much dissecting as looking at things in more detail then usual.
I used to use my Viotlander Vito Cl 35mm camera (still got it) but film was expensive.

Decided to find out what all this digital photography thing was all about so got a Kodak DC 3200 point an shoot (compact now called). a cheap 2MP camera

I was hooked so got a Nikon D70s with the kit 18-70mm lens now up to 6 MP. A great camera until i found i couldn't get out of it what i wanted.

So P/X for the Nikon D200 now 12 mp, trouble with that was it was battery use heavy so again P/x for the Nikon D300, a huge jump in picture quality and still have. Now mainly working with my nikon D800 36mp camera

On the video/movie side I still have a Samsung 8 mm video camera and a panasonic HC-X 900m camcorder , gave the 600 version to my son to film his children with.

So out of like you starting as you say " I'm attracted to it too but for somewhat different reasons " the bug quickly bites
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:43 PM

I have a Nikon D3100. Not sure how it stands up to how cameras are now but then again it isn't that old. Bought an in-depth manual for it but lost the plot after a few pages - in one ear and out the other. Still, I think I can get the hang of taking good snaps if I try a bit harder.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

13-05-2017, 08:09 PM

Mark you might find this link helpfull

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d3100+tutorial
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mark you might find this link helpfull

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d3100+tutorial
Thanks for that. Will work my way through them.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Don't hung up about hardware. An image comes from a "seeing eye", and even a krap camera would produce some sort of image. In our camera club, there are posers who flaunt their new kit, which causes those with lower incomes the twitch! Their prints are frequently mundane....

Source the kit to complement your interests and growing expertise. I often quote Ryde pier has probably be photographed a million times since the Victorians, but there are few images that have that super creative element?

My cameras are film and digital, and too many to list.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:11 PM

I have a cheap digital camera, I used to have a cheap 35mm one.

To me its about being out and about and just being in the right place at the right time no big long set ups tripods waiting for hours to get 'the shot' although I can admire the work of those who do.

I do think having a camera regardless of how cheap makes a person look at things differently.
Ive bouht a really basic camera for OH and its really helping to focus his attention when we go out , he retains far more of what he has seen if he uses his camera because he then has to actually look at what he is seeing and not just give it a passing glance.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

13-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Dobra well said

When I talk to those who ask I always say first and foremost it is the person behind the lens that makes a photograph, the camera only captures the image.
Having said that knowing how to get the best from the camera is important. No good always taking out of focus pictures because one doesn't know how to use it.

One of the questions I get asked is which camera should I get? There is no must get this camera or must get that camera. It is what the user is most happy with, is the best camera.

One mistake I did make was getting one at the lower price bracket and spending and loosing lot of cash on upgrading at a later date. So my advice is get one with more features than you need , they all work in auto mode anyway and no need for changing up.
Would i advise going to evening classes or college to learn? No never you will only adapt to the style of the tutor
Take all your great painters they have their own style, those that copy are never heard of, same with photography.

Ok maybe no letters after ones name BUT that doesn't mean they take better photos than those self taught.

Cass
You are so right it does make one look against just seeing. A simple flower picture needs studying for angle- light- colour imperfections etc where a anyone would just normally say that is a pretty flower and that is all.

One can get too deep into it, i used to play chess up to county standard but gave it up as I was beginning to think of everything in chess moves.

One can learn by observation, buses -shops- newspapers fliers infact everywhere you look has a picture. I would suggest looking at how a picture like these were taken, ie ground level looking up- 3/4 on- overhead etc. If portraits how was the model posed- what props used - how the light was used etc.

I bet we see pictures every day and take no notice apart from content and yet there is a free leaning tool if observed as a photographer
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:25 PM

Well - Photography is what I do - it's my passion. I'm lucky enough to get paid to take photos for a living - and mostly photos other people want. I guess that's why in my personal time I tend to drift towards Wildlife and Landscapes as they don't involve pointing my camera at people and feel less like "work" - the same goes for shooting film.

As for advice for others there's been some good stuff posted already. What I will say is this. If you have a vision for a photograph - and you achieve it - don't let anyone tell you it's wrong. However, if you're trying to achieve something and don't - then I'm happy to help you do so.

As for cameras - there are no "bad" cameras made these days. It's all about choosing something that will best help you achieve your goals with the budget you have.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top