Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Bless You!

More and more people, especially women, young and old say, 'Bless You' after you have made some comment or they feel you need a sympathetic answer!
At one time, you only ever heard, 'Bless You' after you sneezed or if you were at church!
I bet some of those who say, 'Bless You' in their condescending way, are atheists and haven't been to church for years!
Have you noticed how 'Bless You' is creeping more and more into everyday conversation?
Maybe, you use it a lot yourself?!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Re: Bless You!

I haven't heard, "Bless you" around here but I do hear, "Ah bless!" as an answer to something endearing, it's as annoying as calling people," hun ".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I haven't heard, "Bless you" around here but I do hear, "Ah bless!" as an answer to something endearing, it's as annoying as calling people," hun ".

Oh dear . . . and here was me going to say "Bless you hun."
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 08:31 PM

TessA, That's so funny! I was going to add that l compared it to saying 'hun' but thought it was best l didn't !!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 08:47 PM

I shall put my hands up and own up to this one Art.

I do say "bless you" in some circumstances, not so much because I think some needs a sympathetic answer as you suggested though. I usually mean it in other ways.

For example, Mister Judd has helped me with a couple of things this afternoon. Now without looking back in those threads now, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I said something like "Bless you - thank you so much."
I believe I might use it a fair bit in those terms, as a big thank you, or if I am really pleased about something.

I might also use it as a term of endearment if someone happens to say something particularly lovely to me, and which makes me feel emotional.

Apologies if it offends anyone, but it will be meant from the heart.

Actually, what is wrong with asking for a blessing for someone anyway - surely better than cursing them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 09:13 PM

" Bless you!" reminds me of the foul mouthed nun on a shooter in " Off Their Rockers " she's my favourite

She's not you in disguise is she Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-05-2017, 09:15 PM

" Bless you!" reminds me of the foul mouthed nun on a shooter in " Off Their Rockers " she's my favourite

She's not you in disguise is she Mups?

Damn you woman. No pulling the wool over your eyes is there.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

12-05-2017, 09:20 PM

You can say "Bless you" as long as you ask, "did you sneeze?"
No seriously it's the " Ah, bless" That's annoying or sometimes just, "Bless". Is it off some TV show? Lots of people seem to say it now.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

12-05-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Damn you woman. No pulling the wool over your eyes is there.
I knew it! Good make up!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-05-2017, 09:24 PM

Must admit I am not keen on just "Bless", I don't think I say that.
Give me poink if I do please, Tess.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top