Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Spam emails

Not sure if im in the right spot or not but here goes. Does anyone know a simple way of stopping spam emails appearing i get loads everyday some i can unsubscribe from but most you cannot. Many are absolutely disgusting why they are allowed to come through to peoples computers is beyond me. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a block like i have on my iphone to stop these type of emails?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 06:27 PM

Re: Spam emails

Quite simple to do if you have a Gmail account or similar - who is your email with?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 06:41 PM

I haven't had any spam email since I opened a Gmail account, my spam folder is empty
If you do get any spam or phishing with Gmail you have the option to report it.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Quite simple to do if you have a Gmail account or similar - who is your email with?
Hi Judd im with Gmail.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Don't "unsubscribe" if you don't know the sender - that's just telling them that your email address actually exists.

So I would:

- Unsubscribe if I knew the sender and they legitimately got hold of my email address (i.e. by me having given it to them previously)
- Do nothing (or click on the 'spam' button that my email program offers) for all others

On top of that I wouldn't give my email address out willy nilly or sign up to services/websites/forums that do not appear professional.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:13 PM

I am always blocking spam emails but they still keep coming .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 09:44 PM

Ebay seem to be one of the worst offenders. I get two or three every day.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Hi Judd im with Gmail.

If you log in to your email account and put a tick into the little box at the side of each email you don't want a folder icon will appear above your emails. Click on the arrow on the folder and select Junk from the pull-down menu. All of the offending emails will then go into your junk folder and will be deleted automatically after a few days.

Any further emails from the same people/companies that sent you the junk in the first place will be moved into junk automatically. You may have to repeat this action a few times before you are clear.

As Azz says, never click on an unsubscribe button (unless subscribed in the first place) as this will tell spammers that your email is a legitimate one.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

10-05-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you log in to your email account and put a tick into the little box at the side of each email you don't want a folder icon will appear above your emails. Click on the arrow on the folder and select Junk from the pull-down menu. All of the offending emails will then go into your junk folder and will be deleted automatically after a few days.

Any further emails from the same people/companies that sent you the junk in the first place will be moved into junk automatically. You may have to repeat this action a few times before you are clear.

As Azz says, never click on an unsubscribe button (unless subscribed in the first place) as this will tell spammers that your email is a legitimate one.
Many thanks Judd & Azz i will remember that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top