Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 05:41 PM

A mini adventure

I had been wandering aimlessly about in the middle of nowhere with my pooches this afternoon, mulling my thoughts over and enjoying the peace and solitude. Eventually, I piled them all back in the car for the drive home, but as I was going through one of the villages I saw what looked like a skinny Ridgeback nosing about in the long grass at the side of the road.

There are so many sharp bends on that bit of road, I thought he would easily be hit by a car as you couldn't see him until the last minute.
What to do I asked myself?

I found a field gateway to pull in and groped about in all the mullock in the passenger footwell to find the spare lead which I always carry. But then I realised I had left my mobile at home so couldn't ring anyone if he had ID on his collar, and I also couldn't get such a big dog in the car + my five as well, especially having no idea of his temperament.

In the end, very reluctantly, I got back in the car.
There is a little pub about half a mile from this place, so I popped in there to see if anyone knew the dog, being a small village. The landlord meanwhile, was hanging on to the collar of another very large Ridgeback believe it or not.
The one I saw was not his though, but he did say he would go and see if he could see it.

I started to head for home, but felt guilty at leaving him to search on his own. I thought I could at least take him to where I saw the dog, and if he caught it he would have to walk it back on my spare lead. So once again, turned my car round and went back to help him. In fact, I saw him walking and gave him lift - much to my dogs delight and he immediately got mugged with some very wet kisses. He didn't look very pleased.

Anyway, the outcome was, we couldn't see it anywhere, so that was that. I'd done all I could and can only hope and pray he got home safely - the dog, not the landlord .

I wondered afterwards, was I daft to take a stranger in my car like that . . .
Anyway, I'm still here to tell the tale ey.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 05:45 PM

Re: A mini adventure

That bloke deserves a medal, getting into the back of your car full of Bedlignton terrotists.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 05:48 PM

Oh do be quiet Nommy.

Anyway, he sat in the front passenger seat, with his feet in the mullock and Gertie on his lap. The others mugged him from behind.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Not exactly a stranger...in the grand scheme of things....ok, a landlord could be strange....yep, you should be more careful.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Not exactly a stranger...in the grand scheme of things....ok, a landlord could be strange....yep, you should be more careful.

I didn't know him from Adam, he said he'd only taken over the pub a few weeks ago.
Anyway, he wrestled himself free from my hounds, and I got back safe too, so the only shame was I don't know what happened to the dog.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I didn't know him from Adam, he said he'd only taken over the pub a few weeks ago.
Anyway, he wrestled himself free from my hands (
Lucky man.

You did your best...no-one can fault you...just be more careful in future
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Hi

It is a measure of how caring you are Mups.

You were perfectly safe, Bedlingtons protect their owner.

I first came across them in 1969, owned by Leeds City Council for tracing rats.

Lovely dogs, absolutely fearless when it comes to protecting their human handlers.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;1147243]Hi

It is a measure of how caring you are Mups.

You were perfectly safe, Bedlingtons protect their owner.

I first came across them in 1969, owned by Leeds City Council for tracing rats.

Lovely dogs, absolutely fearless when it comes to protecting their human handlers.[/QUOTE]

Until you offer them Strawberrys.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 06:19 PM

If he'd any sense he would have been more frightened of you than your dogs...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Lucky man.

You did your best...no-one can fault you...just be more careful in future

You cheeky monkey! I never said 'Hands' at all. You made me go back and check then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top